Chapter 20 - Are you Nancy Drew?

It had been six months since Astrid had been at the academy. She had been training with Achilles for that time to make up the years she lost. She had been getting better as her Luna instincts allowed her to catch up quickly and was almost where she needed to be. This infuriated Achilles.

Achilles had been plotting for months how she could get rid of Astrid. As the months past, Astrid continued to be a social pariah due to Achilles relentless campaign against her. She spread rumors about Astrid's arrival at the academy. No one knew the truth but Achilles, so she decided to make up her own truth.

She stood outside Astrid's door every night listening to her conversations with her alpha. She would tell him that everything was perfect and that she loved it there. Once she hung up on him, she would call Pierce and cry about how much she hated it there.

Achilles knew she should feel bad. She was ruining this girls life and she had no idea why, but there was something about Astrid that irked her to no end. She wanted her to suffer.

It was almost winter break, and Achilles knew she would use that time to formulate a plan to take down Astrid. She would be home for a month and she knew she had the time to formulate a strategy that would have Astrid out before spring break.

"Be better Astrid. You're getting kind of slow."

Achilles was standing across from Astrid in the training room waiting for Astrid to make her first move.

"Well maybe if someone didn't change my mattress for a brick I wouldn't be so tired." Yesterday, Astrid's comfy bed had been replaced with one that was old and uncomfortable. She would have complained to the dean but it was too late, plus she didn't want any more trouble with her classmates.

"Hm... pity. I wonder who would do such a thing." Achilles gave Astrid a smirk and punched her square in the face. Hard.

"Shit Achilles! What was that for?" Astrid was holding her nose as it was gushing blood all over herself and the floor.

"You should've dodged that. It's not my fault you can't spar." Achilles glanced over at the clock and realized that her time here was done. She left Astrid on the floor with a broken nose. It would heal soon anyways.

Achilles walked into her room and opened a vent in her room. There she had stashed all her dirt on Astrid. There were detailed notes of conversations between her alpha and her friend Pierce. Those were the only two people she talked to on the phone.

Achilles tried to find out information from Astrid's friend at the academy, Ophelia. She proved to be useless, however, since Astrid didn't trust anyone here. She was smart and knew that no one here liked her, save for Ophelia. But still. She wasn't trying to get kicked out of here.

      For some reason, the academy was becoming important to Astrid. She was training hard, even Achilles had to admit that. She had been training extra hard and was advancing at a speed that most warriors would take years to achieve. That's what made her so interesting.

     And the perfect target.

      ~~~{     }~~~

     "Hey Astrid, how was school?"

     Astrid cringed. She hated when Andrew asked her this question, almost as much as she hated talking to him. She hated that she had to lie to him and she hated that he couldn't tell that she was lying.

     She was just full of anger.

     "It was ok. I didn't get enough sleep though. I was a little slow at training today." And these evil girls replaced the mattress that you bought me with one that feels like I'm laying on bricks.

     "That's ok mon Chou. I'm sure you'll be more rested tomorrow."

     Ok so she didn't hate talking to him that much. He would sometimes say sweet things that would make her forget that he sent her off and dismissed her when she expressed her distaste. 

      "Yeah hopefully. Look I have to go now, I have a huge test tomorrow before break."

     "Oh of course. I'll be there to pick you up on Friday, ok? Love you."

     Astrid knew his love you's carried a heavier weight than hers which would make her feel guilty. Hers were hollow, an echo of the actual meaning of the word.

"Ok I'll be here. Love you too."

Astrid hung up and looked at her phone wondering if she should call him. You've been doing it all this time so why stop now?

"Hey Pierce. What's up?"

"Hey love." Astrid could almost see the smile on Pierce's face. He had taken her departure very hard, so listening to her voice soothed him.

"How was school today?"

"What are you? My nanny?" Pierce and Astrid started laughing. His parents were hardly ever around so he had been raised by nannies until he was old enough to stay home alone. Well, home alone with the staff.

"Ok fine. Then what should we talk about?"

There was a second if silence on the other line and Astrid had thought he hung up.

"What about this awesome party I'm throwing on Saturday. It may or may not be the party of the year."

"Wow a party at Pierce's? Sucks that I have to miss it."

"I know Astrid. It sucks that we can't see each other. The only contact we get is through a phone call."

Even though Astrid was going to be home for the next month, she knew it was wise to not sneak out. No more parties. No more human friends. No more Pierce. It would show Andrew that Astrid was a Luna, a true leader who could help him with his pack.

"Well you can always commemorate me at the party. Play our favorite song?"

"Of course darling. Anything for you." Pierce had exaggerated his voice leaving them in hysterical laughter.

Achilles stood outside Astrid's room until she signed off on her call with Pierce. She quickly walked back to her room and called her parents.

"Hey mom! I'm actually going to spend a few days with a friend if that's ok?"