Chapter 16 - Dr. von Habsburg

Astrid sat across from the old man, that burly girl in the leather chair next to her. She had a bruise forming around her neck from Astrid's tight grip while Astrid had a black eye from a punch that caught her off guard. She knew Dr. von Habsburg would call Andrew, hopefully informing him that his mate had been expelled. She'd then go home and continue her normal life.

     She tapped her foot on the hardwood floor. Silence clung in the air. The girl next to her was fuming, probably angry that a weak she-wolf had tackled her and choked her hard enough to form a bruise. Suck it bitch.

      The dean looked pensive, as if he didn't know what to do. He took in a deep breath and began.

     "So girls, what exactly happened tonight? Achilles you can start."

     Her name was Achilles? What the-

     "I was just trying to start conversation with Astrid when she got angry at me and attacked me." She was lying through her teeth. Achilles knew that fights were forbidden and she wasn't going to get into trouble because of the princess sitting next to her.

     "That is such a lie! You said some bull-" The dean rose his hand to stop Astrid from whatever she was going to say next.

      "Astrid, I know you haven't been here long, but there are rules. I asked Achilles to share her side of the story and when she's finished, I will ask you for yours. Is that clear or do you need that in writing as well?"

     Astrid hung her head low and muttered an ok before the dean turned to the lying monster.

     "Achilles, what did you say to Astrid that caused her to attack you?"

     "Well... I-I just wanted to befriend her ya know? She looked pathetic and lonely and it's in my nature to help the weak. Isn't that the whole job of a warrior?" Achilles shot him a sweet smile.

     "We both know that is not what happened."

     Achilles huffed and rolled her eyes knowing that she would now have to expose the truth.

     "Fine. I may have said something off color about her and her alpha. But you should have seen the way she was staring at us. Like she thinks she's better than us." The whole time Achilles was pointing at Astrid while Astrid faked a shocked expression. She didn't think she was better than them. She knew she was.

      "Now Astrid do you have any response to this?" Dr. von Habsburg was looking at her expectantly, hoping she'd tell the truth.

     "Well was it my fault. These people are animals. Like actual animals. You all exercise obsessively, eat like slobs, and you're bitchy." Astrid had been looking towards Achilles the whole time she was talking, so the girl knew Astrid hated her.

     "Maybe it's you who needs the attitude adjustment Miss Forester. Now Achilles, you may leave. Your punishment will be a week on food serving duty."

     Achilles accepted her punishment knowing that it would have been worse if Astrid had been an established student here. And if Astrid wasn't such a priss. She walked out of the office leaving the dean and Astrid alone. She knew she was going to tell everyone about what had happened. Two can play at this game.

     "Astrid, you've only been here for a day and you've caused a ruckus. What do you have to say for yourself."

     "Oh I don't know Dr, but I know whatever you choose to do will be the right decision." He was going to ship her home. Sure Andrew would be mad and they'd be back to square one, but Astrid wanted her life back.

     "I'm not expelling you Astrid. You're staying here. I made a promise to your mate  that I would help mold you, and that's what I plan to do. I get that this is hard for you; you grew up around luxuries and now you're in a place where people expect something of you. But don't let that stop you from achieving your potential. I'm sure that you're tired of disappointing people, so this is your time to prove that you are a Luna. It's in your nature and it would do you best in the long run not to ignore it. Now, you've had your fun these last few years partying and whatnot, but now it's time to grow up and make something of yourself."

      Astrid was disappointed that she wasn't going home. Yet a part of her wanted to live up to what Dr. van Habsburg was telling her. She could make something of herself here if she really tried, it was just a matter of finding the willpower to do so.

     "Thank you sir. I will take your words to heart."

     "I hope you do Astrid." He smiled at her and she smiled back. Getting up to leave, she was stopped at the doorway by his voice.

     "Oh by the way, don't think you're off the hook. You have kitchen duties as well. For two weeks." He waved her and she grimaced.

     Great. A whole week with that psycho.

~~~{ }~~~

"So, how was your day?"

Andrew called her that night to see how she was doing. He had made it back to the pack safely, but missed Astrid like crazy.

"It was...ok." Astrid was apprehensive to tell him what had happened today. Since she wasn't being expelled, she figured he would never have to know.

"What does ok mean?"

"It just means ok."

Andrew sighed into the phone.

"Astrid I hope you didn't get into any trouble. I pulled a lot of strings to get you into that school."

She could hear the disappointment in his voice, and Dr. von's words echoed in her head. This is your time to prove that you are a Luna.

"No no. I just- I don't think they like me here."

"Astrid, I'm sure they like you just fine."

Astrid wished that Andrew would listen to her concerns. She wished that he understood her, but he didn't.

"I'm probably just overreacting. Anyways, It's almost lights out I have to go."

"Ok bye Astrid. I love you and hang in there. You'll do great."

Astrid hung up and turned off her light. She tried to go to bed but couldn't. So much was swimming in her head and she needed to vent to someone.

She knew she was making a mistake when she picked up the phone. She wasn't even sure if he wanted to talk to her, but it he did it could mean trouble. Astrid always found trouble though, and so she dialed the number that she knew so well.

"Hello... Astrid?"

His voice sounded groggy, like he just woke up from a nap. Or just came down from a high.

"Pierce hi."