14; From The Depths of Hell

Tris screamed in pain, hitting the wall of the ship, as if she had gone insane

Tris screamed in pain, hitting the wall of the ship, as if she had gone insane. Jace's eyes widened as he ran towards her but Valentine, who'd already healed himself, stopped him, staring at the mundane girl in complete awe. Jace glared at Valentine. "Let me go!" Jace yelled, fighting against Valentine's grip. "She's hurt!"

"This is only what happens to her with the Hellfire inside of her," Valentine said. "It's the first stage."

"The first stage?! What is this, a game?" Jace got rid of Valentine's grasp on him and ran towards his friend. He grabbed her by the shoulders and when she opened her eyes, they were an orange-yellow. Jace hissed in pain when he felt his hands burn and he tore them away from Tris, who was now breathing raggedly, her eyes turning to the regular blue, as her knees buckled and she collapsed to the floor.

"Tris," Jace fell to his knees beside the weak girl and when he pressed a hand to her forehead, he winced. She was burning hot. She screamed again, more broken, as if she was being tortured and then she just let all go.

Tears poured from her eyes like a flood, her body shook with sobs. The pain she felt was inexplicable. It was like a burden on her back that kept crushing her down, and the fire that felt like it came deep from hell was inside her, burning her alive. She buried her face in her hands and tried to quiet down her sobs. 

Tris felt Jace's arm snake around her shoulder, lifting her to her feet. She heard Valentine say something to the blonde boy before he led her to the back of the ship, a place in the watercraft which wasn't filled with experimented Downworlders. 

Tris slowly slid down the wall, feeling the cold floor. Jace sat down in front of her, placing a hand on her cheek. She looked up at him and he almost wanted to punch a wall at her state. Furrowed brows, a tinted nose, and tears streaking her face. She looked done with almost anything and everything. He wiped her tears with the sleeve of his sweater.

"You're gonna be okay," he assured her, pulling her to his chest and wrapping his arms around her. She fisted the end of his shirt in her hands, trying to take in deep breaths.

"I'm not," she sniffed.

"You'll be," Jace whispered. "You will be, you have to."

Jace knew he was assuring himself more than the brunette girl.

▪▪▪

Tris stood quietly on the dock of the ship as Valentine yelled at Jace to kill the teenage werewolf, Greta. The Lewis girl didn't plan on being here, but she was forced to. She was surprised when someone grabbed her hand and pulled her toward the edge of the ship. 

When she looked up, the biggest smile stretched on her lips. In front of her was her boyfriend, his hair disheveled and his runes decorating his skin, under his gear. "Hey," Nick whispered, smiling.

"What-What are you doing here?"

He pecked her on the lips. "Saving you." He looked around. "Let's go."

He made her run towards the end of the ship, where Dot made the wards disappear and once Jace and Clary jumped, Nick and Tris did too, falling into the cold water.

▪▪▪