26; You Are Not On Your Own

The brunette girl's covered feet hit the pavement of the empty streets, a car or two passing by every five minutes

The brunette girl's covered feet hit the pavement of the empty streets, a car or two passing by every five minutes. The crescent moon above her stood out amongst the dark sky, the clouds that had gotten darker as night had set in completely. The streets were wet and the tall street lamps that emitted yellow light made her feel as though she was in a fictional novel, walking the streets of London with a black coat, gentle rain falling on her face. She got giddy as she even thought about it, a small smile gracing her features now.

Tris wasn't supposed to be outside. She had only half of her powers under control. She remained a walking danger, as her greater power was not controlled by her. She sighed, pulling her jacket around herself and looking around. There was an alley, where no doubt, Downworlders were hanging out. It was weird now that she knew exactly what was going on, that there was a world completely different. She remembered that the day she learnt about the Shadow World, she had almost begun hoping that Harry Potter was real. 

She stopped in her steps as she heard footsteps behind her. Turning around, her eyes landed on the grinning person, and she rolled her eyes. The blonde boy made his way next to her as she began walking again. She glanced at him, shoving her hands in her pockets. "You were following me?"

"What's a man to do?" He asked, his speech slightly slurred.

Tris scowled at him. "Are you drunk?"

Jace mimicked her in a high pitch voice, before answering her, seeing the deadly glare on her face. "Just a little!"

"Jace, don't scream," the girl hissed at him. He raised his arms in mock surrender, eyes wide, before he placed a finger to his lips. "Shh!"

Tris rolled her eyes as they walked together, the boy next to her stumbling a little. He leaned towards her. "Tell me a story."

Tris sighed. "Are you ten years old?"

"I was," he corrected her, giggling like a child.

Annoyed, Tris thought of something that would irritate him when he would be sober the next day. She smirked, linking their arms together as she told him the entire plot of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he listened to her intently, both of them completely missing the moving figures in the shadows.

▪▪▪

Jace groaned as he got up from his seat in the library, pushing Tris' feet off him, making her frown. They had been spending yet another day in the library, but Jace couldn't read as he was still a little hungover. He sighed as he paced and Tris' eyes followed his steps, it was like watching a grandfather clock tick side to side. The brunette sighed, leaning back in her seat. "And here I was thinking that Shadowhunters were incapable of getting hungover," she said, sarcasm laced in her voice as she flipped the page of the book she was reading.

Jace stopped pacing and scowled at her. "Shut up," he told her. "It was alcohol but the–the ones that Seelies drink." Sinking into the armchair, he put his fingers on his head. "All I can remember is that you were talking to me about this...this Steve." Tris grinned, and Jace furrowed his brows at her, removing his fingers from his head. "Who's Steve?"