20; Will You Stay With Me?

Going to church with Tyler was the least thing Tris wanted to do

Going to church with Tyler was the least thing Tris wanted to do. Sure, she prayed every week. Well, used to. Now that her life was messed up with the truth, she just wanted to stay at home. Speaking of home, she left her house, so did Simon. Elaine found him eating a rat and she also found Tris setting fire to her desk with nothing but her eyes.

Weird, wasn't it? It was Hellfire. It was beginning to get channeled into magical powers. She could cast anything on fire. Thankfully, Raphael and Lyle used compulsion on Elaine and made her forget. 

"Tyler, why are we still here?" Tris whispered to her best friend.

Tyler looked at her before fishing something out of his pocket. He handed Tris a necklace and she recognized it as Cristina's necklace. "I found something. . ."

"Go on," Tris said. 

"She had given this to Nick."

"How did you find out?"

"I took help from Magnus," Tyler answered. "Told him about her and Nick. He displayed quite the memory."

"What? What was this memory?"

"Well. . ."

"Nick," Cristina giggled as she looked up at him, smiling at his boyish grin. They had been dating for two years and were so hopelessly in love. 

She knew about him being a Shadowhunter, and she adored him even more. Of course, the girl had told her two best friends about him, except his name or what he was, she knew very well if they did know, she would be screwed.

The reason was because she was dating a guy way more older than her. Stupid reason, but she knew why it was wrong. Her mom divorced her father, the age gap was four years, and they didn't stay together.

It was the only reason why she didn't tell anyone. She was also afraid of what society would think, and that's why she never said anything. 

"What? It's true," Nick exclaimed. "You are very pretty, Cristina."

The girl blushed and smiled, looking at him. Her phone rang, breaking the moment between them. She picked it up, placing it to her ear. "Hello?"

"Cris, where are you?" Came her best friend's chaotic voice. 

"I'm outside."

"Oh, my God," sarcasm dripped from Tristen's words. "Outside. Damn, we forgot to check there!"

Cristina laughed. "I'm fine. I'll be there in a few."

"You better be, or else I'll finish up the hot chocolate I made for you."

"Okay," Cristina smiled. "See you."

She cut the phone, looking up at Nick, who was frowning. "Do you really have to go?"

"Yes. Because if I don't, I won't get hot chocolate."

Nick chuckled and kissed her before saying his goodbye and walking away. When Cristina felt something cold on her hand, she looked down to find a necklace, and she smiled.

Tyler held out the necklace. "That memory is put in here, along with a few others."

Tris took it away. "We should see what other memories."

"Yeah," Tyler sighed.

"But?"

"But," he said. "It would be wrong. We're intruding on her private moments."

"Sure, but don't we need to know? Why she killed herself, why she jumped off," tears pricked the girl's eyes as she remembered her best friend's broken limbs as she had hit the ground. "You weren't there that night, Ty. I saw her. You know what she said before taking the dive? Sorry. She apologized. Why would she-"

Tris broke down in sobs. She wanted to punch a wall till either her hand, or the wall, broke. It would most probably be her hand, but still. Tyler pulled her into his side and let her sob. The priest looked up worriedly at the boy, but Tyler just shook his head and waved a hand, signalling that it was okay.

It really wasn't.

▪▪▪

Tris just wanted to get away. She had the unbearable urge to run away. Maybe she could buy a plane ticket and go away, somewhere, anywhere. The girl threw herself on the bed and sighed into the mattress.

She heard a knock on the door and turned to see Jace with a small smile on his face. But his brows were furrowed just a little, and his regular smile, the one with his teeth flashing, wasn't on his face anymore. He looked tired.

"Hey," Tris said, sitting up.

Jace shut the door behind him and walked towards her and sat down on her bed. "Hi."

"Something wrong?" Tris questioned, her brows furrowing.

"Well," he inhaled sharply. "Aldertree's kicking me out."

"Oh, Jace," Tris sighed. 

"I did everything I could to prove that I am not working with Valentine," he murmured angrily.

"Hey," Tris placed a hand on his shoulder. "Aldertree's just being a bitch, okay? We all know that you aren't working with him."

"No, everyone thinks I am," Jace said, standing up. "Maybe even you do."

"Jace," Tris got in front of him, so they were looking at each other. "I don't."

He scoffed. "Yeah, right."

"No, Jace, really, I don't," Tris said. "You know that I would be the last person to think that."

"Yeah," Jace ran a hand through his golden locks and looked at hair. "I'm thinking of staying with Magnus."

"That's good, he'll help you," Tris nodded.

"Will you come with me?"

"Huh?"

"Not to stay--which, even if you did, I would have no problem--but just to, like, drop me off?"

"Sure," Tris smiled. "I'll help you with packing, too."

▪▪▪