Ch. 10

Here is where it strays from canon. Tony does find out he's Spiderman, but in a different way. And much different circumstances.

IW and Endgame have no place in my universe.

That said, there will be no spoilers here, except maybe in the comments.

THAT said, enjoy.

Update: it was originally non superpowered, but I changed it because there are more opportunities for him this way.

7 years later:

"Hey May?" Peter moved down the short hallway, swinging his backpack over his shoulder.

"Yeah?" May poked her head out her bedroom door.

"I'm leaving for school. Is it okay if I go to Ned's after?"

She kissed his cheek, following him to the kitchen where she handed him a paper plate with a sandwich. "Sure, but don't be home later than four tomorrow, okay? There's someone coming to see us."

"Sure thing. Larb you."

The next day he walked into his apartment, tossing his backpack onto the table absentmindedly. "Hey May! There's this crazy car parked outside-"

He faltered as he realized just who was sitting in his living room.

Tony Stark? What the absolute- nevermind. Let's not go there.

Back on track.

What is he doing here?

"Mister Parker."

Peter hesitated. "What are you- what? Uh, hi, I- I'm Peter." Idiot. He knows that.

"Tony."

"What are- what are you doing here?" Idiot idiot idiot! Stop stammering.

"It's about time we met." Huh.

"I'm sorry, what's going-?"

May broke in. "We have something we need to tell you."

"On," Peter finished awkwardly.

"Yeah. It's really not the best time, but-."

"Right." Shut up you doofus she's still talking.

"Remember how I told you that we took you in when a family friend brought you to us, because your dad couldn't take care of you?"

I think I know where this is going.

"Y-yeah."

"Yeah, well, that 'family friend' was my best friend," Tony's eyes darted to the floor.

"We didn't want to tell you anything," May said softly. "We didn't want you to think that you weren't wanted."

"May?"

He waited until she stopped talking. "I remember, you know."

He pretended not to see the quick intake of air from both adults. "Pretty much everything."

"Oh sweetie," her brows furrowed. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"I felt guilty." Peter said quietly. "They didn't want me, so I tried to forget them. Didn't work so well." He steadfastly refused to look at Tony- his dad.

"Anyway," Tony continued. "Do you mind if we go talk, somewhere?"

His voice was soft, and hesitant, and if Peter didn't know better, he'd think there was a hint of fear there.

May hesitated, glancing at her nephew. "Yeah. Just- don't overload him."

Peter awkwardly led the way down the hall, closing his door quietly, then turning to face Tony. "So this is-"

"Awkward?" Tony offered quietly.

Sure, yeah. Let's go with that. That's better than what I would've said.

Although he usually knows what to say.

I'm just an awkward walnut, what do I know?

"Yeah." Peter let out a breath. "That. Look, Mr Stark- Tony, I know you're my- my dad, okay? And I remember the months, or years, when I lived there, but I just- this is really weird. I mean, after seven years of no contact? And now you're just showing up? I have been here for seven years, Tony. Every single day, for months, I would stare at my ceiling, and ask myself, 'what did I do wrong'? 'Why didn't you want me?' And I could never come up with anything."

Tony nodded softly, staring at his clasped hands. "I wasn't in the best place, Pete."

The nickname was familiar, bringing to mind nights on the couch with a movie.

"I was dying," Tony said abruptly.

Peter looked up quickly, meeting his dad's eyes. "What do you mean?"

"Palladium poisoning. Palladium was what kept my reactor going. I couldn't find an element to replace it, because it didn't exist. So I had to work through that. I was in a horrible state of mind, resulting in the racetrack fiasco, and the birthday party thing-"

"I saw that," Peter put in.

"Admittedly not my best moment." He stopped to take a deep breath. "I'm sorry."

Peter sank down on the bed beside him. "Why didn't you come after?"

"Because of the whole thing with the Mandarin, and all that, and- because I was scared."

Peter glanced sideways. "Scared of what?"

The bed creaked as Tony shifted so he could look at the teen. "I was scared of being like my dad. He was cold, calculating. Aloof. I was always shoved off on Jarvis, see. And when you were with me, I was sick, and I was doing exactly that. Rhodey spent more time with you then I did. And so I didn't fight him taking you to May. At least she could care for you."

Thoughts going a mile a minute, Peter hugged his knees. "Why are you here now?"

Tony's fingers tapped a quiet rhythm on the bed frame. "Because I've kept in contact with May, seeing how you are, keeping up, you know? And I wanted to see you, and she said that she thinks I should be in your life, seeing as I've, and I quote, 'turned my life around now that I have Pepper to keep me in line'. Can't say she's wrong."

Peter hesitated before speaking, phrasing his words carefully. "I think- I think I would like that. Only on one condition, though."

The billionaire leaned forward, meeting his son's gaze. "And that is?"

"That you don't leave when things get rough. Also that I get to see Pepper and Rhodey again."

The corner of his mouth turned up in a brief smile. "Of course to the second. And I'll try my best. I can promise I won't leave you again."

"Good." Peter's serious facade crumbled, and he grinned. "Cause May would have no qualms about punching you in the face."

"Don't I know it."