2

I sat at my desk right outside my boss's office, ignoring the hustle and bustle around me. Which made it difficult to concentrate sometimes. My coworkers talked over each other and laughed like they had no work of their own to do. Idiots. While I stared down, working, trying to prove my worth to the company. But I guess that's what I had to do — impress. Hurray for being an intern!

My newest assignment sat in front of me. Overwhelming me with its medium-sized length. My eyes searched through the few pages I had left to finish, hoping to impress my boss. Thank God for small projects, I thought. I didn't know how editors survived long edits.

I moved my trusty ruler down a line, letting my brain fully take in what was being said between the characters. Mindfully checking for grammatical errors, sentence structures, and anything out of place. Like a good editor would do, which I prayed one day I'd be.

"Meyers!" I jumped out of my skin, yanked from the romantic piece that had captivated my attention.

My impatient boss emerged from her office with a stern look resting on her perpetual bitch-I-will-kill-you-face. Narrowing her beady glacier eyes at me with the ever-present scowl on her narrow lips.

"Coffee!" She barked, holding up two fingers, and I shook my head on instinct. If she told me to jump from the tallest bridge, I'd comply like the lowly, desperate intern I was.

Ahhh- the perks of being a shitty office intern. Coffee here, more coffee there, and a few sandwiches from the local shop below. A little editing here and there or a lot of editing in my case (they loved my English degree here).

That's how I had got this job in the first place, through sheer dumb luck and hard work. I needed this degree to continue my passion for editing whatever I could get my hands on. This company was my shoo-in into this exclusive world. 

My one opportunity to better my skills and hone in on my abilities. Plus, working at this company was a great start, and the possibilities were endless for my near future. Reese, my direct superior and owner,  was a well-respected editor. With her direct recommendation, I could soar to great heights on top of the highest mountain of success.

I quickly got up and ran to the coffeemaker, as my life depended on it. Which it did, if she didn't get her coffee she turned into a raging monster. Flying off the handle at the littlest mistake and I definitely wanted to spare myself from that monster today. Making Reese's coffee was always a chore. Getting the right temperature, the right foam, or whatever she wanted, was a pain in my ass.

Just like her. Giant pain in my ass. But I only had a few more weeks and this internship was over. On to bigger and better opportunities! 

She found sick enjoyment in sending me back multiple times until I got it just right for her particular taste. Which to me seemed counterproductive, but she was the boss. Nothing I could do to change that. I dreamed of the bright day when I could move on from being an intern to something better. Much better. Somewhere far away from these walls and my persistent crazy ass ex who followed me like a little lost puppy dog everywhere I went.

But Neil's possessive ass was a different story for a different time.

"Your coffee, Miss Collins," I said through a fake smile, coming into her office and setting the piping hot cup and saucer on her desk. 

Her eyes dripped in annoyance. Directing my attention with a flick of her wrist to her guest, situated in a chair across from her desk. My hair stood on end as I stared at the same tattooed, sexy writer from the night before. Who had humiliated me with one word.

No.

"Aren't you going to ask Mr. Cole what he wants?" Reese asked through gritted teeth, rubbing her temples at my slow reaction.