Chapter 9

There it was. The brownstone home I'd had my eye on for what seemed like an eternity. Finally I was making enough to afford something like it. The house had been on the market for years, but no one wanted such an old home.

For me it was perfect. It had a rich history behind it with originally architecture. I would've done anything to have it. I contemplated whether or not it was a good idea to knock on their door. Would they sell to someone like me? I was a hardheaded spinster who was not only unmarried, but colored.

Still, I tugged on the door bell.

An old woman opened the door, reluctant to fully open it.

"Hi, sorry to bother you so late, I just came off of work. I'm here to look about the house? I'm interested in—" Before I could finish my sentence, the door shut. My heart sank, feeling foolish for thinking she'd ever consider me.

Then, the door opened again. "I'm sorry, I had to take the chain off of the door."

I exhaled, thankful she was giving me a chance. "I'm Rose Taylor, nice to meet you."

"Maisie Fitz." The frail woman smiled as she shook my hand. "Come in, Rose! I just made some peppermint tea!"

I sat there in the historic kitchen. The old cast iron fireplace roared next to us as we sipped on tea. "My family moved into this house years ago when we came through Ellis Island."

"Where were you from?" I asked her with a smile.

"Ireland." She answered. "It was a long way from home and we needed the first house we could find. Many people sent us away, they didn't want an Irishman's family living in their home."

"But you found this home." I guessed with a smile.

"Yes." Maisie smiled. "Me and all my siblings grew up in this home from when we were wee."

"If you love this home so much, why are you willing to give it up?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"My husband and I got the house after my parents passed. My second half has gone home too. We never had any children, so I have no heir. I was the youngest of my siblings. All of my siblings are gone, and so are my friends." Maisie explained to me. "And I'd never give it to my wretched nieces and nephews."

Both of us laughed at her remark about her family. Then Maisie continued on. "I wanted to give the house to someone who would appreciate it."

"How will you know who that will be?" I asked quietly.

"I'll know when it happens." Maisie said. There was a silence in the room, then Maisie stood up strongly. I reached out to help, but she moved my hand away with a smile. "Don't worry, I can handle myself. I move around this house all day. Allow me to give you a tour, child."

I followed Maisie around her beautiful three story home. Each room had a different story. Some rooms felt as if you were walking into an Edwardian world, others made you feel as if you were in the First War era. Maisie was sure to preserve each of her siblings' rooms as they left it.

"This neighborhood was poor when we were being raised." Maisie admitted. "But as time went on the gustalach came in. Suddenly the golden paved roads that were promised to us were real."

I laughed at her joke. Maisie turned around to me before we went up to the third floor. "Are you okay, child? You're quiet."

"Your house is so beautiful. I'm overwhelmed." I complimented. She gave me a smile and took my hand in hers.

"If you think you're shocked now, wait until you come up here." She guided me the curving steps. She was right, I was absolutely shocked. The room was gorgeous, exactly my style. A large canopy covered over the dark wooden bed. A big vanity stood proudly in the corner of the room. Two French doors led to a balcony Hey that overlooked all of Manhattan.

"I'm speechless." I looked around the room in awe. "I love the house exactly the way it is. The furniture, the wallpaper, the paneling and detail. It's gorgeous."

"And it's yours." Maisie walked to her vanity and took out an old key ring. The keys were aged, some of them even dating back decades.

Then, Maisie placed the keys in my hand.

"I always said I wanted this house to go to someone who appreciates it." Maisie said tenderly. "And I believe you're that person."

"I can't take your house furnished... I know you were selling it but—"

"No, no, no. I don't want to hear it." Maisie shook her head. "You're a strong woman with a warm heart. One day you'll have a husband and kids and you will fill this house with love like it once was. What's filled in this house are just memories of people I've already lost. It hurts to be reminded of that. What I want is for these objects to bring happiness to a new person. That person is you."

Tears began to roll down my cheeks as I held the keys to my heart. Maisie wrapped me in a hug, comforting me as I expressed my happiness. "But where will you live, Mrs. Fitz?"

"My husband and I bought a house in Bedford years ago. The city is too busy for an old lady like me. It's time for me to relax with the fresh country air." Maisie reassured me.

"Thank you." I cried.

"No, darling, thank you." Maisie smiled.