Chapter 38

I walked through Saks Fifth Avenue as I looked for tableware. Even looking for plates and glasses, there were butterflies in my stomach. Now that Marlon and I had decided that we would "try out" our marriage, he wanted me to meet his friends.

Thanksgiving at the Brando household. It was something I never imagined be a part of. The thought of it sent chills up my spin. I gripped onto my brown trench coat, my black glove squeezing it shut at the collar.

My eyes finally fell on the perfect china set. I walked toward it, then dared to pick up a plate. It glimmered under the stage light, the smooth bone china glimmering. It was gorgeous, unique, one of a kind and fragile as ever. The china plate I held in my hands very much reminded me of my marriage. One misstep could end it all.

"Miss, put that down." A sales woman instructed. "Put that down or else I'll have to call store guards."

"I'm buying. I want it." I told her as I lifted my chin. Still, I held the plate between my hands.

"If you want to buy it, then I'd like to see what cash you're buying it with." She squinted at me.

"I don't need cash, I have a checkbook." I corrected her.

"When did they start giving those away to you people?" She asked rudely.

I gasped, but before I could argue, a voice interrupted us. "You heard her. She has a checkbook. Now ring up the set."

When I turned around, my advocate was the last person I'd ever imagined. It was as if I saw her in a totally new light. She was Rita Moreno.

Afterwards she and I walked through the crystal section of the store. I had many questions for her. The woman who seemed to hate me not long ago was now by my side as if she was a friend.

"Where's the set?" She asked as we looking at the crystal.

"I had them send it to the apartment." I told her as I picked up a crystal glass. The same sales woman looked toward me with pursed lips. When I turned around and stared back, she walked off. "Rita, I have to be honest. I was surprised by what you did for me today."

"I know in the past I wasn't kind. I am sorry for that." Rita frowned. "My feelings for Marlon were overpowering. They made me do and say things I'd never usually say."

"You were sharp with me the moment you met me! Which was the same day I met him!" I snapped at her.

"And you alluded that Latinas were no good tramps!" Rita shouted out. Both of us were silent, but then we all laughed.

"Rita, I didn't mean all Latinas. I just meant you." I corrected her. Both of us were able to laugh at our childish quarrel. "Is this all behind us."

"I think it is..." She smiled, opening her arms. I hugged Rita, it was a hug of reconciliation. Afterwards she patted my arm. "Have you cooked?"

"No, but I got help to give me a hand with the meals. They are handling the groceries and preparations." I told her. She seemed happy, but then a tinge of sorrow was displayed on her face.

"How is Marlon?" She asked almost in a whisper. It was as if she didn't know if it was too soon to be asking about him. There was so much history.

"He is alright. Just the same, really. I think he's been behaving himself." I nodded with a smile. Rita laughed. "You know, every night he comes in at dinner time. He isn't living the life he used to."

Rita seemed happy but sorrowful all at the same time. She gripped her leather gloves in her hand, looking down at them. "I'm happy that you were able to bring that out in him. I know I wouldn't have."

"That's not necessarily true." I corrected her. "You're an amazing woman, Rita."

"I know." She said with confidence, we both giggled together. "But with Marlon? I don't think I'd ever get him in line. It just wasn't my place. But you... you did that."

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help but overhear." The saleswoman who once shouted at me Now was coming over. "Did you say Marlon? Are you Brando's wife? Why didn't you say so before?"

"I didn't think I had to." I squinted at her.

"I'm such a big fan of him. Would you mind getting me an autograph?" She asked. I looked to Rita who was chuckling at her.

Then, I looked back at the woman. "I don't think he's interest in giving any autographs. Besides, how would you get it?"

"Well... you can mail it..." The sales woman told me. "Or maybe I can even come over and meet him for a few minutes..."

"How about you ring this crystal set up?" I asked her. Rita placed a hand on her hip as she glared at the sales woman. The woman sighed, then called over another employee.

"Thank you for choosing Saks." She groaned. "Happy holidays."

In front of the apartment door, I fumbled with the key. Why is it so difficult to open this thing? Instead, the door swung open and Marlon wrapped his arms around me.

"Sweetheart, you're back!" He lifted me and spun me around. Of course, he was only in his pajama pants.

"You missed me..." I observed with a grin. He nodded then kissed my lips softly. I looked up into his eyes afterwards, my hand resting on his bicep. "Did my tableware arrive?"

"Sure, a few glasses and plates." Marlon motioned over to the kitchenette. "Seems very fancy. I don't know anything about that. When I was a kid we had metal cups and plates."

"Well you have Wedgewood now..." I grinned, sliding my hands up his chest and to his neck. He leaned in again and kissed my lips.

"What took you so long?" He asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"Well... I..." I began, but then I walked off and tugged at my leather gloves to remove them. "I bumped into a friend."

"Oh." Marlon said nonchalantly as he picked up a newspaper resting on the coffee table. "Was it an old friend?"

"Not really..." I mumbled. My heart pounded, I decided to change the subject. "My gosh... we should start getting ready. The guests are almost here!"

"I was waiting for you." Marlon put the news paper down and walked over to me.

"Good because you're gonna have to wear something a little more formal that a t-shirt and slacks..." I looked up into his eyes, placing my fingers along the waistband of his pants.

"But it works..." He parted his lips.

"No, I want you in a full on suit..." I stepped closer to him, pulling the elastic of his pants farther away from his body. "Now get in the bedroom."