Chapter 42

Marlon and I got along living under the same roof. More and more were we understanding each other. Tonight, he bursted through the door excitedly. His fedora was tipped to the side, his trench coat still tied tightly around his waist. It was as if he tap danced toward me, then kicked his foot back swiftly to shut the door.

His arm extended toward where I sat on the couch, in his hand was a black velvet box. His eyes sparkled as he waited for me to open it. With a grin, my fingers gripped the edges of the box to open it.

As the lid gripped between my fingers rose, I gasped at the sight of the necklace tucked away inside. It was one of luxury, it looked like it could sprain your neck if you wear it too long.

"Chocolate diamonds." He announced as I stared at the necklace. I was speechless, and I couldn't even phantom what he'd bought for me.

"What are chocolate diamonds?" I asked out of curiosity, looking at the glimmering brown jewels displayed in Marlon's hand.

His mouth with crooked, one of his eyes were covered by his tilted fedora hat. "Who the hell knows, but it cost a lot and I got it for you."

"Of course you did." I whispered as he set the jewelry box down on the table. He pulled at the belt of his trench coat and began to shrug it off.

"What has you some glum, honey? Usually when I bring you gifts you're ecstatic." He observed as he walked over to the coat rack next to the front door.

"It's beautiful... your gifts are always beautiful. And you've gotten me so many in the past few weeks." I rubbed my hands together nervously. I didn't know how to tell Marlon what was on my mind. I feared he'd be threatened by what I had to say.

"Well you deserve it." He announced as he walked back toward me. He was still in the suit he'd been out on the street in. Marlon took a seat next to me on the couch, his large hand gripped onto my jaw. "Especially around this neck of yours."

I placed my hand on his chest, stopping him. Marlon's eyes deepened as he pulled back. His jaw clenched, he didn't know what was wrong.

"Marlon." Thoughts swam around my mind as I tried to figure out how I'd break it to him. "I love your gifts. But I don't want you buying me so many anymore. In fact, you don't have to buy them at all."

"Why would you say such a thing?" Marlon asked with furrowed eyebrows. I sighed, looking down at my hands resting in my lap.

"Marlon, I am in this house all day. My house is probably forming cobwebs at this point." I sighed.

"You can always go to your house... anytime. I always made that clear with you." Marlon reminded me.

"It's not that, Marlon." I stood up from the couch and walked forward. Then, I turned back around to face Marlon. "Marlon, I want to go back to work."

He paused, then wiped his jaw. "Do you?"

"You agreed that I could work during this, remember?" I reminded him.

"But you don't need the money... I'll give you the world, Rose. I'm busting my ass, and I finally landed this new movie—" Marlon went on, but it was no use.

"I've already made up my mind, Marlon. I'm going back to work, I can't sit around anymore." I spat out.

"Why can't you be like the other wives... join a women's club..." Marlon shrugged. Now, my blood began to boil. My house gown flowed around my legs as I swiftly stomped over to Marlon.

"What do you mean by that?" I defensively asked.

"I love that you're a working girl, baby, but you're not a spinster anymore. You're my wife. I thought you'd let go of those thoughts once you realized how good I treat you." Marlon admitted. I rose my hand and smacked him in the face. His hand slowly clawed the top of his fedora hat, taking it off. Then he held his cheek for a moment, his eyes staring at me. My breathing was hot and heavy, I stared at him waiting to see what he'd say. I was shocked when his hand gripped around my arm, he pulled me directly into his lap.

"Marlon!" I pushed against his chest, then pushed my hand against his face. He turned me over into my stomach, and his hand came down forcibly on my bottom. I wiggled like around like a fish out of water. He finally let me go, I stumbled onto the rest of the couch,. My legs were still sprawled over his lap, my bottom was facing up as I looked over my shoulder at him. With a grumble, Marlon shoved my legs off of his lap and began to walk off into the bedroom.

Any other girl would let it settle at that, but I was too stubborn to do such a thing. I stood up, then walked into the hallway and through the French doors of his bedroom.

"Marlon." I said sternly. "I'm working!"

"Fine! Embarrass me in front of everyone!" He shouted at me as he began to shrug off his blazer. "Go back to work and make me seem like some sissy."

"Me going back to work isn't what's making you a sissy, Marlon." I said deeply as I shut the French doors behind me by reaching behind my back. "It's the fact you're so insecure you can't handle me working at all! Supporting myself! Well I always supported myself and last time I checked I never needed you!"

"I know!" Marlon said angrily. He allowed himself to breathe for a moment, then repeated his words more softly. "I know."

He sat down on the bed, cupping his face in his hands. I walked over to him, gripping my small hand around his. His gold rings were cold and hard. They were cascaded with diamonds, onyx and sapphire. His face was red and his eyes were wet, but he wouldn't allow himself to cry.

I wrapped one of his arms around my waist then settled in his lap. My hand touched his chin as I attempted to have him look at me, he only moved his face further way. I combed through the brown locks on the back of his head as his hand squeezed my waist. "What has you so stressed, Marlon?"

"Everything." He said as he looked forward. I moved my finger softly along his cheek in an attempt to comfort him. "This movie... its a musical-comedy. I made quite a name for myself over in Hollywood. But now..." Marlon scoffed.

"Now what?" I asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"They want me to dance and sing... do all of those soft things. I've never felt more stupid in my life." Marlon admitted. "They suggested I branch out, give drama a rest. Now I'm looking like an imbecile trying to be something I'm not."

"Who says you can't be in a musical?" I wrapped my arms around his neck.

"Have you heard me sing?" Marlon asked.

"I think you have a very nice voice." I touched over his adam's apple.

"I have the voice of those chipmunk puppets you see on tv." He frowned.

"Alvin & The Chipmunks?" I asked with a grin. He pursed his lips together and I laughed out. "Marlon, now you truly are just being dramatic."

"I tried to do a musical that wasn't too soft. One that would make me feel like a man... but still I feel like an idiot. And we're recording those songs down at CBS, they sound horrible." Marlon shook his head. "They're having me do it in pieces so they can put it together and pretend like I have an ounce of talent."

"Well who else is in the movie?" I asked him.

"Sinatra's on board." Marlon said.

"Sinatra? I loved him in high school—" I stopped speaking once I noticed Marlon glimpsing up at me. I slumped my shoulders, he tightened his arm around my waist, pulling me closer. My head rested on top of his. "Who cares? So what if its not your best film. What matters is that you tried."

"No, what matters is that I'm good. That I bring a performance. Not all that other bullshit." He huffed. "And most of all, what matters is that I get paid."

"You're going to drive yourself crazy with this." I stroked his hair. "Come to bed."

I rose from his lap and began crawling to the top of the bed. Midway, I paused and looked over my behind at Marlon. He grinned as he frantically began to take off his belt. After his slacks fell to the floor, he didn't bother to take off his dress shirt. I laughed as he tackled me on the bed sheets.