Chapter 13

"Marlon, that's not your hat."

"It is now." Marlon spoke up. "What could that prick possibly do about it?"

"You don't even know who left it." I spat.

"And there'll be nothing for them when they come to retrieve it." Marlon's hands touched the rim of the hat, tilting it in a stylish way on his head. Then, he slowly walked back up to the steps where I were. I raised my chin as he stopped right below me, his eye level right at my bosom.

He noticed a necklace I wore around my neck, then reached out and touched the pendant. "It's all mine now."

His hand took hold of mine and lifted it to his lips, leaving a slow and seductive kiss. Then, he walked back down the steps back toward the door. As he opened it, the light shined around his silhouette, and with the hat he left.

Hours passed and it began to get dark. The fact Marlon came into my home and took Harry's hat annoyed me. Who was he to think he had so much power over me?

At 3 o'clock in the morning, I found myself walking through New York City in my night gown. I was determined to make it over to Marlon's place and demand that I got that hat back.

It wasn't even truly the absence of hat that bothered me, it was Marlon's arrogance. He went around and did whatever he wanted without the least of my approval. Then there we were, the one time he found another man's belongings in my house he lost his mind!

Because of the time, it was cold outside. I could see my breath as I walked through the streets. I decided to take a short cut through Columbus Circle. In my mind I began rehearsing exactly what I'd say to Marlon. I knew I'd give it to him where it hurts.

All of a sudden it began to rain.

The silk gown I wore that night was a soaking, droopy mess. clung to my body. My processed hair began to look scraggly and flat. I could feel the red lipstick I wore becoming caked. Still, I'd walked many blocks at that point and I was not turning back.

Once I made it to his building, I began walking through the front door. The doorman's hand stuck out, blocking my entrance. His eyes widened at my clothing. I looked down, then crossed my arms over my chest. My gown had practically become transparent.

"Come on, Steve. You know me. It's freezing and I need to see Marlon." I begged with a pout.

"I'm real sorry, Rose." Steve frowned. "Mr. Brando said he wasn't accepting anymore guests tonight."

"Anymore guests?" I rose my eyebrows. At that point, I began to wonder who else Marlon had up in that apartment of his. Steve cleared his throat.

"I don't think I was supposed to tell you that." Steve said in a panicked voice. "Gosh, I know you've been a friend of Mr. Brando's a long time and—"

I immediately passed Steve and walked into the building. He watched as I went into the lobby, rang the elevator and stepped inside. He didn't dare disturb me, he already knew I was not one to be reckoned with.

As I rode up the elevator, there was no conversation between the operator and I. He was probably a few years younger than me, he still had pimples on his face. He faced forward toward the elevator controls, however his eyes kept on glimpsing over to me. I wore an angry face, one that probably had him intimidated. Still, I could feel his wanting to ask exactly why I was only in a night gown and why I was soaking wet without an umbrella.

He should've known why. I was going to Brando's floor.

"Have a nice—" He attempted to wish me a nice night, but I already began my strut down the hallway.

I could hear loud voices from down the hall. I knew the only apartment that'd be coming from was Marlon's. After reaching his door, I listened for a moment to the conversation.

"I want it for real! I've been with you for years, Marlon! I don't want a contract!" A woman said. I recognized that voice anywhere. Little Rita Moreno. The star that had yet to shine, exactly like I had imagined.

I knocked on the door.

The two of them got silent on the other side. Maybe they didn't hear me. I knocked again.

Now I heard heavy footsteps coming toward the door. Marlon looked shocked to see me. He was only in his boxer shorts.

"Are you serious? You're still seeing this whore?" Rita angrily pointed her finger at me.

"That's funny." I squinted at her. "I had the same reaction when I heard you were here."

"We haven't been together." Marlon told Rita. She wasn't listening. All she was concentrating on was gathering her things. "Rita, we didn't—"

Rita forcibly nudged me as she walked out of the door. I watched her walk down the hall, trying to keep my self control. Suddenly, I realized I didn't have enough to stop me from scalping her. I lunged forward, but Marlon held me back.

"Will you stop acting like this?!" Marlon held me by my shoulders from behind. Then he twisted me around, still gripping onto my shoulders tight. "Why are you here!?"

That question had me stumped. All of the reasons and anger that I complied on my way to Marlon's apartment went out the window. Now I just looked into his brown eyes blankly, hoping I'd be lucky enough to come up with one good reason for my presence.

"I want that hat back!" I shouted. It was a superficial and stupid reason to say. I knew it was much more than the hat that was bothering me.

Marlon let me go roughly, then stomped into his apartment. I walked in, standing there as he turned the place upside down for the hat. After he found it, he stomped back toward me and held it out.

"Here!" Marlon shouted. I stared down at the hat, then back up at him. I was angry that my problem was so easily fixed. My frustrations with Marlon were all coming to the surface and I didn't know how to express myself.

I grabbed the hat, but then slammed the front door behind me shut.

Marlon lifted his chin, looking down at me with hooded eyes. Then, he placed both hands on his hips, I glimpsed at his boxer shorts,

"I'm tired of you playing my heart strings! I'm a human being and I deserve a lot more respect than what you've given me!" I shouted at him, angrily flinging the hat around. "And I won't have you come into my home telling me what to do!"

"Like what you're doing in my home?" Marlon crossed his muscular arms over his chest.

"Marlon, listen to me and hear me clearly. I'm through with you trying to use me. I'm not your pawn." I stepped toward him. His eyes scaled down my body.

"You're soaking wet." He observed.

"I came here in the rain just to make that point!" I let him know. "Now will you please give me what I ask for!?"

"Of course." Marlon answered bluntly. I lowered the hat, my arms falling at my sides. All those years of keeping my mouth shut, only to have him absolutely agree with me.

"So that's it?" I asked.

"Anything you want, I'll give you." Marlon stepped closer to me, his arms still folded across his chest. "Because I need something from you right now."