Chapter 10; Help Me Keep My Sanity

"Do you think he will come around?" Jen rubs her hand over my back soothingly. The kitchen had cleared out upon me telling everyone to leave. I wasn't the alpha of my pack, but my brother was, giving me a high rank. Every wolf in the pack had to listen to their superior, it was just how things were run. We didn't normally stay in the pack house, mainly staying in our own family house a few acres away, but we were overseeing the pack training to make sure everything was running smoothly.

"Give him some time, he may not feel it yet, but he will. He needs to come to terms with it, you wouldn't be paired together if you had no chance with him," my head raises at her words. Jen was right, there wouldn't be a mate bond if it wouldn't work out, the Lunar God's wouldn't have paired a wolf up with a mate if it wasn't meant to be. It would just be torture, and they weren't like that. Holden comes up behind his mate and nods along with her words, his hands rub her shoulders gently and she leans into the touch. Auric hadn't rejected me, but he hasn't shown any sign of accepting me either and he doesn't seem to pick up on any subtle moves I try to throw his way. It was frustrating.

"Yeah, the Lunar Gods don't play like that. Just invite him to something, spend more time together, it should all work itself out." Eric says, ruffling through the fridge, his dark blonde hair falling into his eyes as he does so. He was my brothers beta and was an overall nice guy. We didn't really hang out outside of my brother but we had respect for each other and a good enough friendship.

There were four Lunar God's. One for life, death, mates, and magic. They never show them selves, in fact, there is only one recording of a Lunar God presenting itself in front of someone, and that had been hundreds of years ago. Death had to personally come to get a wolf that refused to die. It buzzed around the werewolf community for decades until the news of it had finally died down. Even then the tale was still told to young pups growing up to give more reason to believe in them.

The mate bonds just as complex and powerful as werewolves themselves, maybe even more so. A werewolf is bonded to their mate for the rest of their lives. If you turn a bond away before it has time to fully establish, both parties would be fine to walk away, but we frowned it upon in the wolf world and it rarely happens. Our bonds pick us, and that makes some uncomfortable, but for the majority, it makes sense, the bond creating between two people who were destined to be together. We saw it as morally wrong to turn away from a developing bond and many people were unforgiving. If you try to turn the bond away after it has already been established it could physically harm both people connected, but since there weren't many cases of inter-species bonding, I wasn't sure how it affected humans or other supernatural creatures. I did know that if the person was weak or if the bond was strong, their life could be at risk. My heart aches at the thought of being turned away, my bond had established after the night at the quarry. It had only been a day since the quarry but my mind was already a mess.

I thought of Auric and the way he looked and smelt. It was as if the Lunar God's had perfectly carved him by hand, his features sharp yet soft at the same time, his body lean and perfect. His hair incredulously soft, even the white pieces that seemed to appear more and more every day. It worried and confused me, and I wanted to know more about it, about him. Smoke had never smelt so good, at the thought, I knew I was doomed.

"You're right, so what should I do?"

***

The serenity of the quarry had worn off throughout the night and early morning, I only worked half a day today, as it was Saturday and it was common for Jay and I to only work a half day as the part-time workers usually took over in the evening. I started punching out for the day and contemplated calling Jackie. We haven't done anything together in a while and I had let Corrin take a few dollars out of the money I had from selling the ring to take Dakota out on a date as long as he promised they were at their respected houses by eleven. I also made him promise to text me when they were at the restaurant and back home. He seemed happy enough with the arrangement and didn't bother to push me on the subject.

I started to walk through the parking lot to start my walk home when a voice cuts through the warm air, loud footfalls follow behind me. I stop and turn around, facing familiar green eyes. The sun shown brightly behind him, making his hair seem lighter than it was and making me squint against the bright rays so I could see him better. Dorrian was wearing a black shirt with cut off sleeves, his muscles on full display, there was an odd feeling of jelousy in my stomach. I had some muscle, but I was mostly just lean.

"Hey, I have a favour to ask," Dorrian says, cutting right to the chase.

"Uhm, okay?" I aks, uncertainty filling my voice.

"We are having some family over and I would really appreciate it if you came. We haven't seen some of them in years and I would like a friend there in case it got awkward or something," Dorrian's eyes were hopeful and I didn't want to let him down, but I also didn't really want to go to someone else's family get-together. Plus, I had planned on going to see mom once Corrin left.

"I don't know, man," I trail off.

"Please, help me keep my sanity," Dorrian begs, grabbing my shoulders and shaking me slightly to stress his point. His hands were oddly warm and made the sun feel weak in comparison.

"When is it?" I ask, giving in. Last time we hung out he successfully calmed me into a peaceful tranquility so I should at least try and return the favor if this family thing is making him anxious. It seemed like a friendly thing to do, and I think it was safe to say Dorrian was becoming a friend of mine. It was weird, normally I didn't keep friends, besides Willow of course. Even then, Willow and I were once something more than friends, but that was a long time ago. We had ended it mutually but still cared about each other enough to remain good friends. Usually, I just had small flings with women and acquaintances with people I worked with.

"Tonight, I will pick you up at 5, be ready," he runs back to his black sports car before I could say anything else-before I could change my mind. I don't know why he couldn't just text me.