Chapter 19; Different Kind of Different

There's a feathery touch to my head, making me aware of my body. It sends tingles throughout my body and forced something to stir deep down inside of me. Memories of blinding pain came rushing into my head. The pain was gone now, I felt different, I just wasn't sure how yet.

I opened my eyes I half expect to see my body deformed and mangled. I observe my hands and legs-nothing had changed. I still had all of my fingers and limbs and I wasn't covered in hair with claws or bat-like features. I was laying on the cot in the same room I had been in since before I blacked out, completely normal. The only thing that had changed was the finger-print bruises; they were completely gone now.

I saw Dorrian staring at me from his spot on the floor next to the cot. His fingers had been lightly brushing my forehead. Upon seeing my eyes open he smiles and retracts his hand.

"How do you feel?"

"I don't know. How long have we been down here?" I ask in return.

"Uh," Dorrian pulls out his phone to check the time. "For a few hours. It's five now." Corrin should be at Alex's now. I should text him to make sure he was there. I pat my pocket to find my phone but it wasn't there.

"Where's my phone? I want to make sure Corrin's at his friend's house," I ask.

"You left it on the porch, Jay has it. I knew you would want to check on him with everything going on so I had Holden's beta, Eric, keep an eye on him. I believe he is playing Call Of Duty with his friend," I sigh in relief.

"Auric, where is your mom?" Dorrian asks. "You never talk about her and it seems you're the one taking care of Corrin," I couldn't help but feel snappy.

"I'm just looking out for him while our mom is in the hospital, don't worry about it."

"Okay. I was just curious," Dorrian says, his eyes shimmer in curiosity but he doesn't push the subject.

"How am I supposed to feel? What do I do now? I keep getting told what I am, but not how to survive it," I tell Dorrian. I feel like everyone had been throwing information at me without explaining any of it. I had useless facts crammed into my brain.

"Victoria knows more about this stuff. She's a half witch, my dad's parents weren't mates so his mom was unfaithful and had a child with a warlock. She has more information than I do but I can try to explain it," Dorrian says.

The fact that Victoria was a witch didn't seem as unrealistic as it should have. It made sense, the way she performed whatever she had earlier, the way she seemed to know everything and the way her eyes seemed to pry into your mind. I wondered if she was both a witch and a werewolf which prompted
more questions to arise in my mind. I pushed them away, I could ask about Victoria another time.

"How will I be different from the other incubuses? Since my mom is human," I add to clarify.

"I think it's pronounced incubi. And the incubus gene is dominant, especially if your dad was the carrier. You'll probably have a lowered age expectancy than if you were a full demon," he pauses for me to speak.

"Wait, what do you mean by lowered life expectancy?" I sit up in the cot and turn so my feet hung off the end and came in contact with the concrete floor.

"Demons live for a long time, they have regenerative properties to them so they don't get sick or age. Demons can live for hundreds of years if they're not killed by something holy. Like a holy weapon, in some cases holy water, or someone who is holy like descendants of angels or Nephilim. Since you have a human body, you may live into your late one hundreds."

"Some people even think cambions are more powerful because they have all the same abilities but aren't significantly weakened with holy objects," I hold my hand up to stop Dorrian.

"Wait, I'm supposed to live to my late hundreds! What about my family and my friends? I'm just supposed to outlive everyone I know? How do people survive like that?" My head felt fuzzy with the realization that I won't grow old and die like everyone else.

Dorrian stands to sit next to me on the cot. "Listen, I know it's a lot. Maybe we would take a break for today. No more questions and no more answers, just for a day or two to let your mind catch up with what we already told you," I nod. It seemed like a good idea.

"Okay, that sounds good." Dorrian looks at me for a moment before moving a little closer. He watches my reaction and when I don't move away, he snakes his arm around my waist so that my right side was pressed against his left, his arm holding us together.

The right side of my body tingled and buzzed, my body was hungry for the feeling. I leaned in slightly, longing for of it. Something in the bottom of my stomach shifted, almost painfully. It reminded me of the way my stomach had opened up in my nightmare in an attempt to put something inside of the empty hole. I jumped out of Dorrian's hold and moved across the room. I bring my arm across my stomach in an attempt to calm the pain and hunger.

"I'll go get Victoria," Dorrian says, sighing. He seemed almost sad in a way. It must be hard; his wolf wanting to be with someone like me.

The door opens and closes a few minutes later. Victoria doesn't bring a book this time.

"Okay, Auric. You're going to need to feed in order to remain in control. Your instincts should take over so don't worry about doing what is right and wrong. You should try on Dorrian, he is stronger than humans so he can take it. If anything goes wrong I'll be right here," Victoria says. Dorrian is close behind her. I look over at him, he didn't seem scared but I did.

"No. I don't want to," I tell her. She sighs in clear annoyance.

"Auric, it will be fine. You can't starve yourself just because you don't understand it yet. It will harm you and put others in danger," Dorrian says. I shake my head. I didn't want to feed on sex chi, I didn't want to live for a hundred years, I didn't want to do any of it.

"You can't make me, Dorrian. I want to go home."

Victoria glances between me and the trap that had been sitting in the middle of the room. There was a mark where it had been wiped away. She lunges for the bowl that held the red mixture just as I lunge for the door.

Just as my hand connects with the handle, Dorrian grabs the back of my shirt to pull me back. I turn around and push his chest, only meaning to make him back off. Instead, he goes flying, his back meets the back wall and he falls to the floor. His hand flies up to his head and it comes back bloodied. Regret and guilt flooded my body.

I take the door handle in mine and quickly flick the lock so it will open. I run through the back door to avoid confrontation with the other members and sneak away from their property. I start to run.

The wind flipped through my hair and pushed against my body. I felt stronger and faster like I could defeat anything. It was scary yet exciting at the same time. I pushed my body to run until I am met with the nearest gas station. I walk in.

"Hey, I left my phone at a buddies house, do you think I could borrow yours to call for a ride?" I panted, out of breath and tired. Sweat trickled down the sides of my temples and the girl behind the counter eyes me before shrugging.

"Fine, but if you take off I will tase you," she faintly reminded me of Willow, assertive and confident. She hands me her phone and I look up the local taxi service. I wait on the curb for my car home, my stomach growls, but I wasn't hungry for food.