Chapter 35; Working Through It

Eventually, my rumbling stomach causes me to leave my room. I didn't eat often, especially since becoming a demon, but I still did get hungry and have to eat.

I make my way to the kitchen and open the fridge to find that someone had gone grocery shopping. Cheese and hotdogs and various food that I never bothered with much before lined the inside of the fridge.

I look behind me to see Dorrian lounging on the couch with a book in his hand. I grabbed and orange and peeled it over the garbage can. The tenseness in the room was thick and uncomfortable. Before I could stalk back to my room Dorrian is up off of the couch and in front of me, blocking my path.

"I don't like this. I don't like when you're mad at me," Dorrian says.

"Then stop doing things that make me mad," I articulated. I tossed a piece of orange in my mouth and tried to move past him but he grabs my arm and pulls me back. I scowl at him.

"I know. I'm an idiot, but I want to make it up to you. I don't want us to fight and I don't want our bond to be bitter," his eyes were intense and focused and I knew he wanted to make things better, but it doesn't excuse what he did.

"What does that even mean, Dorrian." I ask, referring to what he and Victoria has both mentioned about a 'bitter bond'.

"It's when two mates have resentment or other harsh feelings towards each other and it affects the bond. It makes both people react rash in hard situations. It's not life or death, but it is uncomfortable." I can see where he's coming from. I felt restless and the tense aura between us was severely uncomfortable. I know Dorrian felt it worse than myself with how wolves are.

"You marked me, Dorrian. That isn't something I can just get over. You said we could wait, and you lied. We're not even legally old enough to drink and yet we are fated together for the rest of our lives. I didn't think we needed to rush into it," I sneer. Dorrian hangs his head.

"I know," he whispers. It seemed so heartbroken and sad. I try to ignore the tightening in my chest, but it's strong and demands my attention. I can't tell if it's mine or Dorrian's, but I feel it just the same. I sigh and pull him into me.

"We will work through it," I tell him. The tightness in my chest lifts and Dorrian wraps his arms around me tightly.

"I care about you. I never meant to hurt you," Dorrian murmurs into my neck.

"I know," I mutter. I feel him sigh against me and I try to let go and pull back but Dorrian only holds on tighter.

"Dorrian, you have to let go," I say dryly.

"And what if I don't," he teases back, I feel a feathery kiss on my neck.

"I'm not doing this with you right now. I'm going to bed," I say, wiggling out of his grip and slipping by him.

"Can I join you?" Dorrian calls after me.

"Whatever."

"You're just like your father," the voice whispers. It was almost seductive, rough and low. Darkness engulfed my entire being, I didn't know where I was, I wasn't even entirely sure if I was. I saw a hand reach up towards my face, but I couldn't see the body or face that accompanied it. The hand touched my cheek so softly it could barely be considered a touch. It was shockingly cold and I wanted to pull back, but I was no longer in control of my body.

"It won't be long now, Auric. I'll have you, don't you worry, child." The hand moved a piece of my hair away from my face and caressed my cheek with the back of his hand. Then, his hand pulled away and dissolved and it felt like a bucket of ice was dumped over my body and my eyes shoot open. Instead of the darkness from before, I am met with Dorrian's face.