Chapter 28; Letting Go

I am awoken to the sound of someone clearing their throat. I open my eyes and see Corrin standing in front of me, his gaze questioning. I realize then that Dorrian and I had fallen asleep on the couch together, his arms still wrapped around me and my head still pressed into his chest. His chest rumbles softly with a snore. I try to pull away but his arms instinctively tighten around me making me frown and smack his stomach. His eyes shoot open and he looks at me but doesn't let go, instead grinning down at me.

"Dorrian, let me go," I demand. Reluctantly, Dorrian retracts his arms and lets me get up. Corrin stares at me, eyes squinting as he tries to figure it out.

"Are you guys like together or something?" He finally asks, I feel heat spread across my face and neck.

"No-"

"Something like that." I frown at Dorrian. We weren't together, we were just figuring things out, testing the waters.

"I didn't know Auric swung that way," Corrin says, sounding some what hurt that I would hide it from him.

"Honestly, neither did I. I'm still... figuring things out," I finally settle on. Corrin nods and looks down at his feet.

"We're still picking Dakota up, right?" Corrin asks. I nod.

"Let me get dressed and brush my teeth, then we can go," I say. Remembering the plans that we had today. A sadness covers my shoulders like a weighted blanket. It was time to let her go.

Instead of waiting on the couch, Dorrian follows me to my room and Corrin takes his place in the couch. I can see Dorrian scanning my room curiously as we enter.

There wasn't much to see, plain walls, plain floors, an unmade bed. I walk over to my closet and grab myself some clothes. I look over at Dorrian as he opens my nightstand looking at the contents. He wouldn't find anything besides a few lighters and random pictures of Willow and me. Maybe some of my family. It didn't bother me that he was curious, I almost expected him to snoop.

"Whose this?" Dorrian asks, holding a photo-booth picture up of Willow kissing my cheek. I smile softly at the memory. It was at a fair upstate that we had travelled to. We ended up spending the weekend there and my mom was pissed because we were teenagers and at the time, teenagers in love.

"That's Willow," I say. I grab a different shirt that had been looser on me and hand it to him, closing the distance between us. I take the picture from him to look at it closer. My smile was wide and Willows hair covered half of her face. "She's my best friend." Dorrian frowns.

"Just a friend?" He asks, skeptically. His sudden possessiveness puts me on edge.

"At the time, no. Now, yes." Dorrian takes the shirt and puts his hands on my waist, pulling me softly to position me in front of him.

"Promise?" He asks. Leaning down slightly to stare into my eyes. He pushes my hair back with his hand and I nod.

"We're just friends-best friends." Although I didn't like his possessiveness, it wasn't my intention to make him feel like he had to be, and I might not know a lot about wolves and mates, but from what I hear, they're pretty important to them. I pull away and make my way to the bathroom, leaving Dorrian to look at my pictures and change his shirt.

The river was beautiful. A few brightly colored green leaves float on the top of the clear water and large rocks poke past the water surface every few feet. The surrounding trees shaded the area but the sun made part of the water glisten where the trees didn't cover it. Mom would be happy this is where she is going to be laid to rest. I kneel by the waters edge and stick my hand in it. The water was cool against my hand and small fish scatter at the sight of me entering their space. Corrin kneels beside me.