Chapter 43; Out on Good Behavior

"What the fuck is happening," I murmured more to myself than anyone else. I wasn't completely sure of my own emotions as Melik sat at my kitchen table, maybe a concoction of confused, stressed, and unsure. Melik takes this as his cue to stand and usher me and Dorrian inside, glancing around before shutting and locking the door.

"I know it's crazy. I'm not all that sure about what's going on either." He looked cleaner than the last time I saw him, more put together. His hair was pulled back into a short ponytail, his face cleanly shaven, and he wore a dark blue shirt with black pants.

"Corrin?" I ask, my eyes searching the room for the youngest member. Melik places his hand on my shoulder, studying my face for a second.

"You sure do look like me. The boy is in his room, sleeping I think. He freaked out when I told him I was your father," Dorrian growls lowly, pushing Melik back so there was at least two feet in between us. I elbow him in the side and he stops.

"How did you get out? I'm guessing Lucifer didn't just let you go from the goodness of his heart," Dorrian snaps. Melik only smiles.

"Well, when you find out, be sure to let me know. Is this the mate you were talking about?" Melik directs his question to me. I shuffle past him, in favor of checking on Corrin.

"Just give me a minute. We can talk after I see Cor," I said, sending them both a stern look to get my point across and knock on Corrin's door before walking inside. His glasses were tossed carelessly on the ground and he laid on his stomach fast asleep. I picked up his glasses and set them on his nightstand before kneeling by his bed. I take a deep breath.

"Hey, Cor? Wake up," I whisper, keeping my voice low and shaking his shoulder. He jumps awake and stares at me with wide eyes before relaxing and blink a few times.

"What's going on?" I keep my voice low in favor of keeping as much privacy as possible.

"Oh, yeah. Your dad showed up, or at least someone claiming to be your dad did." Corrin informs me, sitting up and twisting to face me. He matched his voice to mine. "I was in here listening to music and he just barged in asking for you. I tried to call you but your phone went straight to voicemail. He refused to leave, and I didn't know what to do so I just stayed in here and figured you would be back soon."

I reach over and smacked his head. "You didn't even lock your bedroom door! You should have gone to Alex's or something. I'm buying you a taser and you better keep it on you at all times if you don't have a fight-or-flight mechanism somewhere in that brain of yours. Dumbass," I huff. Corrin's eyes go wide and he throws his hands up as if to yell 'what was I supposed to do'.

"All right, uhm, I have to go figure things out. Stay here. I'll let you know when he leaves." I go to leave but Corrin leaps forward, grabbing my arm.

"Is he actually your dad? What will happen now?" I sigh and shrug, not knowing for sure myself.

"Yeah and nothing. We're going to discuss a few things and then I'm sure he'll be in his way. Nothing's changing and he's not going to stick around," I try to sound reassuring, but Corrin bites his lip and looks anything but reassured.

"Is he nice? How long have you known about him?" He asks.

"I don't know, Cor. We'll talk later once he's gone, okay?" I don't give him room to argue, instead ruffling his hair a bit and walking out, locking his door before I shut it.

"You really care for him, huh?" I jump, turning around and finding Melik staring at me. There was something almost sorrowful in his tone that set me on edge.

"Uh, yeah. He's my little brother, I can't let anything happen to him." I watch as Dorrian glares at the older male. Melik-catching and not liking it-turns to him.