Chapter 31; Chaotic Decisions

"I'm going to Hell," I inform him. Dorrian throws his head back in a laugh. I stare at him for several moments before his smile drops.

"Wait, you're not serious are you?"

- - - - - - - -

Waking up next to Dorrian was blissful, but also a wake up call. I enjoyed looking over and seeing the sun shine of his sleeping form and the way his arm captured my waist, but I couldn't have this. I couldn't wake up next to Dorrian every late morning. This wasn't my life. My life was in a shitty apartment with my little brother. My life was getting up early and working to afford rent and food.

"Dorrian, I have to go." I tell him, leaning in so he could hear me. He shifts and his eyes flutter open only to be shut quickly to block out the harsh light.

"Stay for breakfast?" He asks, his voice thick and raw from sleeping.

"No, I need to get home. I have an interview later at Applebee's," I tell him. Which was true, just not why I wanted to leave so early. I had reading to do.

Dorrian pouts and tries to pull off his puppy dog pace but his coordination was off and he looked more like a constipated beagle.

"Sorry, I have stuff to do and I'm sure you do too. I'll text you later." I was already out the door before he could say anything else.

Hell had always been something fictional to me. It was just something that people used as an excuse to be a shitty person; they were tainted by the devils will. Then they would pretend that nine Hail Mary's would fix all of their troubles and they could go about their day without consequence. But looking at the text on my phone, Hell was very real. In fact, Hell was reachable, along with Hell's prison.

It wasn't thought out, there was no process of deciding or scientific and mental evaluations. My mind was chaotic and impulsive in my decision to try to see my dad. In my mind, there were no consequences to my actions, only answers.

"Hi, my name is Auric Ferrow, I had an interview scheduled for today at two and I was wondering if there was anyway we could reschedule?"

"Reschedule?" The lady on the other lines asks for confirmation.

"Yes. Something has come up, there was a death in the family and it's important I see that everything is taken care of," I explain, trying to play the sympathy card. Sure, it was wrong, but if I asked to reschedule because of an impromptu trip to Hell, I don't think I would get the job.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry for your loss. Of course we can do that, how does two weeks sound? You can come in and we can set up a small interview and see how things work, yeah?" I sigh in relief.

"That is perfect, thank you so much." I end the call only to make another.

Cassandra, Alex's mom, answers on the second ring. She drew out the pleasantries and her apologies about my mom, but I didn't mind much. She used to be my babysitter when I was younger before she had a baby of her own. She was happy to help; happy to watch Corrin for a few days or until further notice. I was grateful for Cassandra and Alex, but I was also worried about leaving Corrin in their care while I was gone. I wouldn't be able to reach him, nor would he be able to reach me. As far as they knew, I was camping for a break and self-finding journey.

Next, I stopped by Willow's. I hadn't talked to her since my mom died and as soon as I knocked on her door; I was immediately pulled into a tight embrace.

"Oh my god, Ric, I was so worried. Are you okay?" She asks. I put my hand on her shoulders and push her away softly and nod.

"Yeah. I'm going on a trip, a camping trip of sorts. To get away and take a break. I was wondering if you could keep an eye on Corrin. He's staying at Cassandra's but if you could, I would like you to stop in and make sure he's doing okay. My phone won't have service so just as an extra precaution." Willow nods wildly and her hair bounces in its ponytail.

"Of course. Where are you camping at? Is it somewhere near here?" She asks, pulling me inside and closing the door behind me.

"Not really. It's downstate. Little bit of a drive, but it should be... nice," I settle on. She nods and hands me a coke. I open it but don't make any move to drink it. Willow eyes me.

"I didn't know you were into camping and all that. Didn't you say it was a waste of time?" She asks, my heart rate quickens at the need to make more lies.

"Yeah, but I think I need to waste some time." She nods and looks at her feet.

"Understandable," she said in a small voice. We stand in her kitchen for a while, just being in each other's presence. It was nice, it felt like I hadn't spent much time with Willow, which was true. I got wrapped up in my own drama and neglected our friendship. Guilt pooled in stomach and settled there like a weight. When she gave me a hug to see me off, I held on for just a moment longer.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She asks, squinting as she studies my face. I give her a small smile.

"Yeah, just missed you is all. When I get back, we need to do something, just the two of us," I tell her. She agrees and with that I leave.

To say I was expecting her call was an understatement. My whole plan stemmed from this very call.

"Victoria," I say into the line. Not too long after I touched the book did I realize that Victoria would know, she knew everything and she could read my mind like an open book. I knew she would figure out my plan. I knew she would want to help, she didn't leave the book there for nothing.

"You found the book?" She inquired. Her tone was disembodied and taut.

"You knew I would. So how do you want to do this?" I asked dryly. I didn't like having to rely on Victoria.

"I'll meet you at your apartment in ten."

The line goes dead.

When I reach my apartment I am shocked to see not only Victoria but also Dorrian lounging in my living room. I look at Victoria and she discretely shook her head.

"Auric, there you are. Victoria said you invited her over to talk and I figured I would tag along, ya know to be there if anything went wrong." I was annoyed.

"Well, uh, I think Victoria and I have it," I tell him. He scrunches up his nose and I know that if he sticks around, I may not be able to go through with it. Dorrian opens his mouth to argue but the words push past my mouth cutting him off completely.

"I'm going to Hell."