Chapter 42; Warrior Thoughts

"Does that say 'Get Fucked?" Holden asks, squinting at the small tattoo lettering on my rib cage.

"Is that what it always said?" Dorrian buts from behind Holden, a few kids following him back from the packhouse to their training area next to ours.

"I've known you for how long and you never knew what my tattoo said?" I snort, tossing my shirt to the side. It was too hot for jeans and a shirt, but I wasn't about to take off my pants.

"I was always too distracted to read it," Dorrian says, observing the tattoo. Holden snorts and the kids-there were about six of them, ranging from eight to fifteen-all wrinkle their nose in objection.

"Ever think of getting it removed?" Holden asks, handing me a black combat knife and retrieving another for himself.

"Nah," I say shrugging, "I think it's charming." Holden and Dorrian both shake their heads at me, making them look like twins for a moment. I was so distracted at the similarities between them that I don't notice Holden come at me. I dodge the blade at the last second, hearing the blade cutting the air as it narrowly misses me.

"Distracted are we?" Holden mocks, repositioning himself in a fighting stance. I copy his stance but keep my mouth shut. I can see Dorrian getting all the kids in a line and beginning his own session in my peripherals. I could feel eyes on us from all around the yard.

"Why does everyone stare?" I whisper to Holden. He glances around before looking back at me, lunging at me once again, he catches my elbow and tries to get my back to him but I twist in his grip and press the tip of my blade lightly into his abdomen and grab his hand before he could retaliate. Instead of admitting defeat, he uses his other hand to grab my neck, squeezing just hard enough to tell me he could choke me, but we both knew I would have had the knife embedded into his stomach before he had time if he was anyone else. He was just a sore loser.

"You interest them and it's not like you ever actually talk to them so they can learn about you. Plus, you're training with the alpha." He drops his hand and we return to our stances. "Your aura is stronger. You and the demon connect?"

"Yeah, last night. You guys can sense auras?" Holden surprises me with a full lunge, taking me to the ground and knocking the air out of my lungs, I gasp for a breath as he holds his knife against my neck. I bring my knee up in between his legs hard, making him grunt and roll on his back, giving me the upper position. In turn I use one hand to hold him down by his neck and the other presses the tip of the blade to his chest, hovering over his heart. In one wrong move I could kill Holden, my alpha. He, however, doesn't seem worried and quickly recovers, pressing his own blade to my back.

"You forgot about my weapon and my hands. And alphas can. It helps us choose pack members and where they rank in the pack." I twist, quickly grabbing his hand and pressing on either side to make him drop the knife, then I grab it and press his own weapon to his neck. He nods, motioning for me to get up and start over.

"What's mine? Where would I belong if I were to stay full time and want a real position in the pack?" Holden looks momentarily surprised, but doesn't take long to recover. He holds his hand out for his blade back and I reluctantly give it back.

"Uhm, it's strong-good for higher positions-but it's almost overbearing and thick, which isn't good for dealing with business or a lot of other members especially the young ones. That counts out beta and delta positions. It's not calm enough for omega or healers. Maybe a warrior, with more training. You would fight rogues and if there were problems with another pack. You would certainly bring an element of surprise. Dorrian wouldn't like it though. You would be gone a lot and in danger constantly."

"It was only hypothetical anyway," I try to brush it off, but Holden grabs my arm, making me look at him.

"Auric, I would love to rank you in the pack. Being a warrior could be good for you and your demon. It would get some of that restlessness out and give you an outlet. Plus, wouldn't you want to stay here, with Dorrian? I won't force you, but think about it," his eyes search mine and I shrug him off.