Sorry, But Who's That?

-JOSH-

I edged away from Brianna. Crowds aren't really my thing.

I watched Maya and Riley escape into her room, Lucas and... Farkle, I think it was, backing away reluctantly.

What have I done?

You know what? I'm not going to leave her again. It's time I say sorry for my mistakes.

————————————————————

Slipping on my white v-neck and pajama pants, I let Ria in to sleep on the bed. I get to sleep on the floor.

Wow, I feel so privileged.

I chuckled to myself. What Ria wants, Ria gets.

Almost bumping into someone, I realized that it was Maya. Grabbing her arm, I turned her around to face me.

"Yes, Josh?"  She said, clearly annoyed.

I looked her in the eyes.

"Can we talk, Maya?" I said softly, not wanting to irritate her further.

"I can't think of an excuse to leave, so shoot."

"Look, I just wanted to say sorry," I said, searching the depths of her deep blue irises.

She studied me for a moment, before saying, "Is that all, or-"

"I'm not finished." I cut her off, not giving her a chance to walk away.

Here goes nothing.

"I'm sorry for making you wait. I'm sorry for missing your birthdays and your graduation. I'm sorry for never texting, calling, or visiting you once. I'm sorry for ignoring you. I'm sorry for making the long game much longer than it needed to be. I'm sorry for messing up or new understanding, our new beginning. I'm sorry." I stopped to take a breath.

"Just know that-" I continued, before I was cut off by a knock at the door.

We walked over, and Maya opened it slowly.

"Brandon?" She said, her voice questioning. "What are you doing here?"

I'd like to know too, thank you very much.

"Maya, I wanted to give you-" He saw me, and his gaze hardened.

The guy from the picture.

He was holding a blue present with a white bow on top.

"I'm sorry," He started. "But who is this?"

"This is-" I cut her off.

"I could say the same to you." I glared at him.

Why am I doing this?

I could have gladly let him in and we might've become friends. He could have gotten on with his business with Maya, and I wouldn't feel anything at all towards their relationship.