Regrets and Fufilled Promises

-ONE YEAR LATER-

-JOSH-

Maya.

The name rung in my head.

Maya, Maya, Maya.

Forget about her!

You're engaged now, genius. Get her out of your head.

I wrapped my arm around a sleeping Ria and stared blankly at the TV screen.

You're getting married in two months.

Two months.

I shouldn't have taken that job. I should've told her how I feel.

A coward.

That's what I was.

But there's no going back now.

-MAYA-

"Riles, remind me why I had to come with you again?"

Riley stopped right the the middle of the mall, arms full of shopping bags, and completely ignoring the annoyed glances that were being directed at her.

"Maya, for the last time," She sighed dramatically. "No matter how you feel about Josh, I still have to go to his wedding. Look, I've been holding out this whole time for you, but I really have to go."

I scowled, but grudgingly nodded my head anyway.

Her face lit up. "Perfect!" She exclaimed, and dragged me into another shop.

"I thought you were finished, Riles?" I said, confused.

"We have to get something for you to wear, don't we?" She smiled.

Here we go again.

-JOSH-

I adjusted my suit and took my rightful place at the altar.

My parents beamed at me from their seats, positively delighted that I'd chosen to marry her. I plastered a fake smile onto my face and grinned back at them.

Inwardly, I sighed.

Coward, coward, coward!

I shook my head bitterly. Even my thoughts mocked me.

But as everyone took their seats and the music began to play, I spotted someone in the very back of the room.

And as we locked eyes, I knew what I'd do.

I'm not going to be a coward anymore.

-MAYA-

As we zoomed through the streets of New York, Riley's determination refused to waver.

"Shoot, I'm going to be so late!" She hissed under her breath, as Lucas attempted to calm her down while at the same time trying desperately not to hit every other car we passed.

Riley had made me wear a flowing blue dress, cinched at the waist with an off-white ribbon. She'd done my hair up in an elegant bun, and put a white flower in it.

Even though she'd done all this to get me ready for the wedding of yet another man who had left me, I had to give her credit for my outfit.

"SHUT IT, LUCAS!"

Riley's shriek of anger made me snort in a very unladylike fashion, and Farkle laugh loudly from next to me.

Three months of pregnancy certainly made her moods very unpredictable.

As we came to a screeching stop before the venue, Riley grabbed on to as many hands as she could hold and ran as fast as she could to the doors.

"Hussle, people! Hussle!" She whisper-shouted.

Pregnant Riley was absolutely hilarious.

As we took our seats in the back, I made eye contact with someone I'd been avoiding for a year.

Josh.

-JOSH-

I rushed forward, ignoring the loud disapproval of my parents, my would be in-laws, and most of the audience.

The loudest of which was the not-so-blushing bride, Ria. 

"Josh!" She fumed, and I could practically see the smoke rising from her ears. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Something I should've done long ago." I yelled back.

Grabbing Maya's hand, we left the venue.