14 ' In Which We Meet Some Ladies of the Court

Charlie absolutely does not like Dean Winchester. She does not like the way he smirks, the tone in which he speaks, or the darkness she senses from him.

She especially does not like that he is now present in Castiel's life every evening, and therefore present in hers as well.

Good to his word, Dean now gives him something to fight. That being said, his illusions have little substance, their weapons unable to stop Castiel's poorly made dagger as he strikes at them. When their blows meet his skin, they leave not blood, but a cold feeling that makes trails of goosebumps rise on his flesh. When his blade meets their skin, they vanish.

When Cas tells Dean his illusions have to bleed when he scores a hit, a sadistic sort of pleasure rises in his chest.

Of course Cas would want blood.

Castiel's body has to relearn the basics of combat, and Dean calmly watches the frustration in his eyes at the slow pace. His reflexes and skill however, even at his worst, let Dean see the echo of what Cas truly is.

Charlie does not like the arguments. Every time Cas opens his mouth to the prince, she feels anxiety pinch her stomach. And yet by some miracle, no matter what curt words Cas throws at him, no matter how much he ignites his anger, Cas has yet to invoke Dean's wrath.

The girl doesn't understand it.

Neither does the prince.

---

The first time Castiel calls her 'Char' is an accident, although Cas immediately decides he likes the nickname. Charlie has never had a sobriquet in her life, and she hears slight affection in Cas's tone when he tells her he is calling her this.

It is different from the waves of anger that rolls off Cas's lips when he shortens the prince's name. Charlie discovers quickly that Cas tweaks the names of things he either likes or hate.

She's glad she knows which category she falls under.

The other servants watch her when she walks the halls with Castiel. The ones so eager to heap snide comments and speculations upon Cas now cast looks of jealousy at who was once a lowly washer girl. They've heard Cas hardly ever ask anything of his servant, and that he doesn't even call her servant but 'helper'. Charlie has not washed a dish in weeks, and begins to hope she never has to again.

When Cas asks of her family, she hasn't a lot to tell him. Her parents left her when she was very young, and while she was told they left to find a better opportunity for their daughter, Charlie knew it was because of thievery. Asgardian guards had come while she was barely in school. She begged as a little girl on the streets of the marketplace, barely earning any scraps or coin. There came a day when the Allmother walked with Prince Sam through the market, laughing and talking.

Charlie will never forget Mary's laugh. It is like bells that ring softly in the listener's ears. The queen offered jobs to all those she saw begging on the streets that day, and so Charlie the beggar gladly became Charlie the washer.

At the conclusion of her tale, Cas looks at the girl sitting beside him on the bed and tell hers he is glad the queen gave her a job, and glad she volunteered to work with him.

Charlie finally begins to treat him less as a charge and more of a person. She helps him put his clothes on (even common Asgardian day-clothes are still hard for Cas to master) and whispers tips to him when needed. But she finally isn't afraid to ask him questions, and does so often.

The Sun Doesn't Rise in Heaven { Destiel }जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें