The dark phoenix

//This has zero spoilers from the movie, as I have not seen it when I started writing. I will go after what they did in Last Stand and Apocalypse, that Jean was simply born with her powers and that she pushed them down in her mind

The power coming from where the two sets of Infinity Stones meeting point was slowly affecting its surroundings. People and weird alien monsters were thrown away from the blast, trees were torn up, grass destroyed and death. So much death.

The only thing that kept Jean from colliding into trees and such like many around her was that she kept herself in the air, like a few people close to her.

The whole scene was quite strange to her, as she didn't know what the so-called "Avengers" tried to get out of firing the stones at Thanos when he just countered them with his own. Did they want to destroy everything around them?

Jean was no expert in intergalactic magic gems, but it seemed that if they would continue with their stone fight, there would be a chance for the world to rip apart. No not chance, risk.

The five people with the stones seemed to have just as a hard time staying in place, as the beams meeting place only grew.

"It's too unstable!" Pietro yelled from beneath her. The speedster had fallen back like many else, but he had the benefit of hitting a tree and was currently holding onto it for dear life "What are they trying to gain out of this?!?!"

Jean glances up briefly at the five stone wielders whose struggling became more and more apparent, before looking down at the silver-haired boy "I don't know!" She yelled back "I'm going to check!!"

Jean glanced between the five people, and decided to search into the woman in the middle with the helmet that created a mohawk. The redheaded mutant closed her eyes and focused all her attention on clawing into the woman's mind without actually causing any damage, something she had gained quite good control of.

The memories in the woman were less than Jean expected, considering her age, and some seemed half or even broken. Jean thought she could maybe fix that later.

After less than ten seconds she the one she was looking for, about the woman (who she had learned was named Carol) and a girl that seemed just slightly younger than Jean was.

"Why are we doing this anyway?" The woman named Carol asked the girl. The two were in a lab, the girl working on the android that had a stone in its forehead and Carol on putting the green stone in an amulet. "Can't we just use the gauntlet as it is?"

The girl looked up and stared off into space for a few seconds, before answering "Alright how do I put this."

"The two gauntlets have the same amount of stones, that have the same power. It would mean that we couldn't destroy him with ours, and he couldn't destroy us with his." The girl said  "But instead, it would destroy the surroundings resulting in killing everything on earth. But if we split up the stones, the people who wield them have the power that they put into the stones. Basically, we win, he loses."

Jean pulled herself out of the memory and took a few seconds to look around for the girl from the lab. She had seemed young, fragile, innocent. A bit like some of the children at the school. The mutant noticed maybe twenty feet away, unconscious with what looked like at least a few broken bones.

When she had made sure the girl was alive, thankfully, she focused more on the memory itself and not on the people in it.

Power

The two women had planned to attract the Stone wielders' powers into the infinity stone they hold, and therefore win, and the problem was that Thanos possesses an equal amount of power himself.