15. Leverage

Catalina's POV

Catalina's POV

I stand along the edge of the ship, leaning on the rail. I know that it is time to go and find William's lady, well not his lady but he wishes. As I look back at the crew, I can't help but wonder if Gibbs has been right about Jack's honesty streak. Of course he hadn't been honest to me but everyone seemed to care and actually listen and follow his lead. That had to mean something.

I move away from the rail and snap out of head. As I come up next to Will, he glances over at me with a small smile. I smile back then look out at the sea.

For some reason, I felt safe with William. And I don't mean that in a romantic way. I just felt as though everything with him was calm and safe. But with Jack, of course, it was crazy and exciting and sometimes scary.

Jack comes down from the wheel and glances at me but doesn't say anything. He nods over to Gibbs who runs to us.

"And what if the worst is to happen, Captain?" Gibbs asks looking a little worried.

"Keep to the code." Jack says with his head held high.

"Aye the code..." Gibbs whispers quietly then walks away.

Will and I look at each other with a confused face then shrug. We all hop into the longboat and Jack rows us to a cave. I watch as the Interceptor gets small and smaller.

As I keep my eyes on my hands, I feel eyes on me. I know it's Jack but I don't think I actually have to courage to look in his eyes. Being around him had made me softer. I was nicer than usual, I was smiling and laughing more, noted most of these moments were because of Will, but seeing Jack had me in a good mood... no matter how much I may act like I hate him, deep down I don't.

"What code is Gibbs to keep if the worst should happen?" Will asks suspiciously.

"Any man that falls behind, is left behind." Jack replies without hesitation.

"No heroes among thieves..." Will scoffs as he gazed down at the treasure the longboat passed through.

I look over at Jack to see him smirking at Will.

"You know, for someone who has such a bleak outlook on pirates, you're well on your way to becoming one. Sprung a man out of jail, commandeered a ship of the fleet, sailed with a crew of buccaneers out of Tortuga,"

I shake my head knowing he is saying this to anger Will but it is sort of true.

"And you're completely obsessed with treasure."

Will quickly looks up from the rows and rows of gold, "I am not."

"Not all treasure is silver and gold mate."

Glancing at the two of them, I see them make some sort of conversation with their eyes then they both look over at me. Frowning in confusion I look away.

We finally dock the boat at a side of the stream and then hop out. Making our way under a ledge we gaze into the main part of the cave. From there we see Barbossa and who I'm guessing is Elizabeth, standing by the chest of Aztec gold.

"For ten years we've been tested and tried, each of you has proved his mettle a hundred times over and a hundred times again," Barbossa shouts as he goes into a monologue.

"Punished we were the lot of us- disproportionate to our crimes!" He throws off the lid of the chest, "Here it is, the cursed treasure of Cortés himself! Every last piece that went astray we have returned safe for this,"

He points to the medallion at Elizabeth's neck. Elizabeth's eyes widen as she tries to back away but two pirates stand near her and grab her arms. Will makes a noise of disapproval. I put my hand onto of his and give him a weak smile.

"It'll be okay. We'll get her." I whisper to him making him nod then look back at the scene.

"Won by blood, it demands blood in return." Barbossa says pulling out a knife.

Will starts to leap forward but Jack reaches over me and grabs him before he can get anywhere.

"Not yet," Jack warns, "We must wait until the most opportune moment."

Will frowns as he gets angrier. He shakes his head and pulls out of Jack's grip, "When's that? When it's the greatest profit to you?"

"May I ask you something?" Jack looks annoyed, "Have I ever given you a reason to not trust me? Do us all a favor and stay here... and try not to do anything stupid."

Will glares as Jack passes him.

"I don't understand, I'm trustworthy... enough. What's not to trust? What's profit to me? You understand right Cat?"

Jack glances over at me.

"No comment."

He frowns then turns around just to get hit by an oar. He falls to the ground unconscious. I gasp and fall to my knees, checking his face for injuries. Looking up, I see Will standing with the oar in his hand, glaring at Jack's unconscious body.

"Sorry Jack, I will not be your leverage. Are you coming Cat?"

I look between him and Jack. I know I'm not happy with Jack at the moment but I don't want to leave him for Barbossa and his crew of idiots.

"Cat... look I'm sorry. You don't want to be used as his leverage do you?"

I look up at Will through my eyelashes and shake my head slowly, "No I don't."

Standing up I follow Will... but not without one more glance at the man who had just chipped a piece of ice off my stone cold heart.

 but not without one more glance at the man who had just chipped a piece of ice off my stone cold heart