Unaware

Goosebumps pricked her skin as she walked. Pulling her sweater tighter around her, she picked up her speed and paced to her car. Perhaps it was the dark cover of night which made her eager to be at home, safe and warm in her own bed, though the thought of being home alone did shake her enthusiasm a bit. She knew her mother would be gone, most likely at the hospital working an overnight shift. The neon lights hovering above her abruptly shut off, as did the lights inside the restaurant, prompting her to swing her car door open and jump in. She slammed the door, quick to lock it, and pushed the keys into the ignition. As the heat began to envelope her, she took a deep breath and rested her head against the steering wheel. The vibration of her phone against her leg brought her from her trance. She sighed and checked the caller ID.

"Hey, Dad." She spoke weakly, feigning her usually enthusiastic voice.

"Hey sweetheart. Just wanted to remind you I'll be out of town this weekend so my house is a no go- unless you need a break from your mother." He chuckled.

"I remembered. She'll probably be working this weekend anyway so I'll just stay home and get some stuff done."

"That's good. She didn't seem like she was in a good mood when I talked to her this morning."

"Yeah, she got into an argument with Jake last night and kicked him out."

"Again?"

"Yeah." I laughed.

"Well, I don't want to keep you. I'll see you on Monday. Love you."

"Love you, too."

She remained parked in the lot for a few long minutes before finally driving home. Once home, she pulled out her house key from her purse and unlocked the front door. All the lights were off, giving the house a more lonely feel, as though it weren't empty enough. 

She lumbered into the kitchen, dragging her bag behind her and flung it onto the kitchen counter. Her stomach growled, so she opened the fridge door to find a plate, covered in plastic wrap, with a note written on it.

A,

Picked up a frozen lasagna earlier, left you a piece. Probably won't be back until tomorrow night, planning on staying at the hospital tonight. 

-Mom

Aria ate alone that night, not knowing it would probably be the last time she would. After finishing her meal and washing the dishes, she climbed up the stairs to her bedroom. She did not even make it to the bathroom, she simply laid down on her bed, only to be awoken by the bright light of morning flooding in through the window.