Prologue

My Mom and Dad were my heroes. I loved them with all of my heart. It's ironic to see how one event can change your whole life. How one event will flip your world upside down. How it'll change your whole perspective on life and how you will become heartless.

Such thing happened with me. Such an event turned my life upside down, and it'll never ever be the same. But with every bad event there also comes good; even if you don't see it at first. Like my mom always said: Metal has to go through fire to melt and turn into a sword.

***

six years ago...

"Happy Birthday Honey!"

"Thanks Mom," I said while blowing out a candle on a cupcake for my fourteenth birthday. I looked at my parents who were standing on the other side of the table and realized my mom had tears in her eyes.

"Please mom, don't start crying. I know I won't be able to go to school until you stop. And we both know that it'll last very long," I smiled at her.

"It's just you're growing up so fast. Soon you will be in college, and I won't see you in like for ever!", she complained. I mean, I can totally understand her. I am her only child and seeing me getting older, seeing anyone getting older, might upset you.

"Dad...", I started complaining.

"Go sweety. I will take care of her. We will eat the cake as soon as you get home", he reassured me. I grabbed my cupcake and got outside where my best friend was waiting for me already.

***

On my way back home after school I realized that something was different. As I walked down my street, I saw that both my parents' cars were parked in the driveway, which excited me. It meant they both got off work early to spend the day with me. They usually aren't at home during weekdays before 5 pm.
I quickly opened my door. "Mom? Dad?" I shouted through the house. "Anybody home?"
I made my way to the kitchen, and that's when I saw it.

Blood on our white tile floor. Smeared everywhere. My eyes watered immediately and my hands started shaking. I made my way around our kitchen island and saw the body of my mother laying there. Her throat cut open. I quickly ran to her. "Mom? Mommy, please! Wake up!", I pleaded. But it was too late. I started crying.
I heard movement behind me and quickly turned around. I saw my dad fighting to keep his balance and using the wall to stay up.
"Ally..." He said and I immediately ran to him and let him sink to the floor.
"Dad, please stay still. I will call an ambulance!"
"No sweety. We don't have time for that."
"What do you mean no time, Dad? Please don't talk I will get help!" I tried standing up, but he grabbed my wrist.
"Sweety, please forgive us for not telling you the truth. We love you. Please never ever forget about that!"
"What are you talking about?" I started crying, confused about everything that was happening.
"Ally, go in my office. You will find a bag with everything you need in it. Please listen to me very carefully. You need to run. There were people here, searching for you because you are very special. Please run! I love you so, so much!" He started having trouble breathing.
"Dad, I don't get it. What are you talking about?" He didn't respond.
"Dad? Daddy?!" He stopped breathing. "No Dad! Please no! No, no, no! Daddy I love you!" I started crying harder.

After a short while there were no more tears left to cry. I got up on my wobbly feet and walked into my dad's office. Why should he have a bag for me? I asked myself. Why do I need to run? I searched his office for a bag and found one. I opened it and in there were some clothes, a small medicine box, my passport, a laptop and $1,000. Why? Why would they prepare something like this? I already made up my mind to talk to the police. They would be able to help me. Or so I thought. Before I could look for an answer for any of those questions, I heard how a car pulled up in our drive way. I made my way to the window but stayed hidden behind the curtains.
"Go look for the girl. She might already be inside. We can't let her go. Lilith needs her alive." A female voice spoke.

I gasped and immediately took the bag. Why are they looking for me? I didn't realize what I was doing until I already used the backdoor of the house and ran outside. I tried to make as little noise as possible. I quickly climbed on the trash can that stood by the high wooden fence between our house and our neighbor's and jumped over it. I looked behind at my house for the last time and took off, wondering if I should come back.