Chapter 16

"Look, I know that's a lot to ask. Especially from a complete stranger," I explained to them after pretty much telling them that they're going to die.

"You're not a stranger. From Men of Letters to Men of Letters - I trust you," Delphine told us with a sad smile on her face.

***

Delphine left us alone for a couple of minutes. She came back with an old wooden box and sat back down. She unwrapped the contents to reveal a piece of golden wood that looked ancient.

"That's the Hand of God? Doesn't look like much," Dean didn't look impressed.

"No, I suppose it doesn't. It must have been more impressive in its complete form - The Ark of the Covenant."

Dean gulped, "Oh, so full-on Raiders. That's - okay."

I reached out to touch it, but Delphine stopped me.

"Don't touch it or hand it. Its power is potent and unstable," she closed the box and handed it to us. "No mortal can survive long with direct contact. I'll remove the warding. I'll be back. Promise," the last words were said to the soldier as Delphine left the room.

Dean and I stood up as well but Petey rose his gun, "Whoa whoa whoa! Definitely not you."

We looked at each other and sat back down.

"When?" He asked as he put his gun down again.

"When what?" I asked him confused.

"When do we win? Months, years, decades? Got a lot of friends and family on other ships, and other branches, I wanna know what their chances are."

I looked at him with compassion. I couldn't imagine how it was to live back here. Even though we had somewhat of a war going on where I am from it wasn't quite the same. "Years. 1945," I answered him with a silence following this statement. "Do you believe us?"

He nodded slightly but only threw a few glances at us, "I read a lot of Flash Gordon..."

Suddenly, the lights went dark, and the red emergency lights started flashing. I saw a lot of running going on outside this room. After a few minutes of nothing happening, the sub started descending and we all felt swaying.

"What's happening?" Dean asked, but Petey shushed him and pointed upwards.

Delphine came back, and Dean and I both stood up. She started unbuttoning her shirt, and then she pulled her collar away to reveal a sigil carved into her skin just below her collarbone. She pulled out a knife, "Kill me."

"Wait," Petey interfered and put his hand on Delphine's stretched out one. "You can't do that."

She gave him a look, and he stepped aside. Delphine handed the knife to Dean who took it reluctantly, "Kill me." I couldn't believe he was about to do it.

"He doesn't have to kill you. Okay, he can just cut it. It will work," I said out loud.

She looked at me sadly, "Not with this. It's spell-bound to my blood, my heart. Its' power lives and dies with me." She looked at Dean again, "Do it!"

He had the knife right on the sigil and I saw a little blood running down. They looked at each other's eyes.

However, we were interrupted by an explosion from the outside. We stumbled and fell over. I was terrified. Then there was a second explosion, and I hit my head on the table.

Dean quickly stood up and stumbled over to me, "Ally! Are you alright?"

I held my hand against my forehead to stop my eyes from spinning. I nodded, "Yeah."