Chapter 9

"Dean, wait!" I ran outside the room. It was night outside, and he was about to enter his car, "Can you give me a ride? I don't think it would be a great idea if I drove."

He just nodded with a grim face and entered his car. I felt like I was doing some kind of walk of shame when I walked towards the car and sat inside. I was embarrassed that he saw me with Dylan. Even though I was twenty years old, it still felt awkward. He started driving back to the bunker, and I felt the tension in the car.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you," I started the conversation.

He let out a long deep breath, "No, I'm sorry that I just assumed something like that. We were all worried in the bunker because we didn't know where you were. Then Cassie said you were in that motel. I didn't really ask how she knew it, but I suppose that that David guy texted her."

"It's Dylan, and yes I suppose. He was worried. And he convinced me to talk to you."

"So I should be thanking this Derek guy," he grinned.

"And again it's Dylan. And yes you should," I also had a faint smile on my face that I tried to hide. The drive was silent for a few minutes before Dean spoke up again.

"You know... I remember your mother, Emily Kale. She... she was something else. My dad, Sam and I had a case in her hometown about vampires. Sam and I had to go to school because the vampires were feeding of teenage girls. Sam wasn't really involved in the cases back then. That's when I met your mom. She was the most generous person. She didn't really pay attention to me, and I guess that's what drove me to her. I wanted her attention. She was gorgeous, and she didn't even know that. So while helping my dad on the case I was also trying to impress your mother. And it somehow worked out. We had dated for a while before she was captured by the vampires. Luckily, we saved her, and I told her about my world. We stayed in this town for a few months after, but we had to go eventually. I didn't want to leave her, but I needed to. This world is too dangerous, and I didn't want her to get involved in it. She was too much of a pure soul to see the things I see on a daily basis. I think I thought it would ruin her in some kind of way. I didn't want to take her happiness away."

I didn't look at Dean. I looked straight ahead, trying to keep my emotions under control. I hated when people saw me crying. I tried composing myself but one small tear left my eye and I quickly wiped it away.

"Thank you. For telling me. And for saving her," I looked at him and smiled.

"You should do that more often, you know."

"What?" I asked confused.

"Smile. It suits you better than frowning all the time."

"I guess it runs through my family," we laughed.

***

I woke up the next morning feeling different. I didn't know what changed. Was it because I had some kind of decent talk with Dean about my mother yesterday or was it because I would talk to Dean and Sam today about what happened? Before I fell asleep the day before I thanked Dylan for the advice he gave me about Dean. Maybe this could have been also the reason why. Or that I figured out that Dean only wanted what's best for my mother. Even though it meant leaving her. And me, though he didn't know back then.

I changed my clothes and went into the kitchen to make breakfast. Cassie was already there.

"Good morning sleeping beauty," she greeted me, "Coffee?"

"Yes, please," I gave her a thankful smile as she handed me my coffee.

"So I guess you kinda talked to Dean yesterday?"