Chapter 12

After I saw Sam leave Claire's room, I knocked and entered myself.

"Great, another pep-talk about how I will have no normal life once I start hunting," she exhaled loudly from her bed.

"No, I'm not the right person to give you that kind of pep-talk or any kind of pep-talk. I just want to explain some stuff to you," I sat down right beside her on the bed. "Listen, I'm not the person to tell you if you should hunt or not. And neither are the others. They just want what's best for you. I will tell you the honest truth from my point of view."

"Yeah, right. You only want to convince me to quit, even though you seem just a few years older than me," she rolled her eyes at me.

"Like I said, I'm not. Besides, I really can relate to you. I started hunting very young and I didn't have anyone to teach me how. I made mistakes more terrible than you. Even worse then almost slicing a student's throat open with a sword. Believe me," I laughed dryly. "But I know that with practice, you will become an amazing hunter. Everyone makes mistakes. I just don't think that the others can realize how hard it can be. To feel alone all the time and acknowledge what mistakes you made. You're eventually the one who has to live with them," I sighed. "But, Claire listen. Once you start hunting, it's not that easy to quit. It's almost impossible. You can ask Cassie. I see it in her eyes how much she wants to quit sometimes. I warned her when she wanted to join my world, how dangerous it will be. And that her dreams of having a normal life, being married and having children won't come true. She would have to be on alert all the time because of the enemies she might've made. Claire, I'm not trying to convince you to not enter this world. I want to make sure you know what you might lose if you start."

She looked at me and couldn't say a word. "Why did you start?" This was the most personal question you could possibly ask a hunter.

"My parents were murdered. I was fourteen and didn't really know what else to do."

"I understand. And thank you," she smiled at me and I returned her smile.

***

The next day Dean and I were at Alex' school. Her math teacher, Stephen Phelps, was murdered and hung up on the top of the flag pole upside down about 20 feet high.

Claire walked up to us, "I knew it. So, who are we dealing with? Demons? Ghost possession?"

"Claire, this is a crime scene. You can't be here," Jody warned her.

"Oh, but the fake FBI can?"

"Keep your voice down!" Jody whisper shouted at her.

Dean pulled Claire away by her arm and they walked a few feet away from us. I didn't try to, but I started to listen to their conversation.

"You can't walk in to a crime scene and demand the Sheriff to give you details on a murder investigation," Dean scolded her. "You need to show Jody a little respect. She did a huge solid by taking you in. She got you set up at school-"

"I don't want to go to school," she argued.

"Nobody wants to go to school, Claire. It's school."

"Exactly."

"My point is, she's been busting her ass to give you a life. She's feeding you, hell, you've got a nicer room than I do now. She kept you out of jail," Dean was trying to bring his point across.

"I never asked her too," she didn't look at Dean.

"And that's what I'm talking about. You need to act like you give a crap. You need to appreciate what that woman's done-," he stopped talking when Alex and her boyfriend walked up to them.