14. Secretary Kim and the Prez

"Mina, Jaemin's here to see you."

Mum is smiling, looking a little surprised.

After all, Jaemin hasn't been to my house for close to three years. The last time he came to my house was on my thirteenth birthday, and we hadn't spoken to each other long before that; I remember how awkward I felt that night, him sitting across me at the dining table, not looking at me, not talking to me at all. I remember telling my mum that night, after everyone had left, to stop inviting him over to my house. Mum had asked why, and I remember I said, he's changed, he doesn't like me anymore, I don't know why, but he doesn't want to hang out with me anymore, and my mum had looked sad, and said, "You were such close friends, how did the both of you end up this way?" and I remember I didn't say anything, because I didn't know what to say; I didn't know why things had changed between us, and I remember thinking, why do things have to change, why can't they stay the same?

So, it's surreal, having him here standing in front of me now, looking up, his cool eyes on me, as I run down the stairs, my face flushed, my breath coming in gasps.

"Ahhh," I say, because it's hard to talk lucidly when your heart's beating so hard, and your head's feel like it's going to explode from panic and confusion.

"Why are you here, Jaemin?" 

Mum's like me, she's about to burst from curiosity; she knows how hurt I felt after Jaemin dumped me, dropped me like a hot potato, from his list of BFFs, she remembers me sobbing quietly in my room one day, and saying, "I said, hi, Jaemin, do you want to grab an ice-cream? and he just ignored me, and walked right past me, I don't get it, why's he so mad with me, what did I do wrong?" 

And I remember Mum hugging me, and stroking my head tenderly, and saying gently, "Sweetie, he's a big boy now, he's no longer the boy you played with, and big boys want different things, new things; and different friends, new friends. Because at that age, sometimes, one gets confused, and starts to think that new is good, and old is bad. One day. he'll realise that different doesn't always mean better, and newer doesn't necessarily make him happier. One day, he'll realise that old is gold, and old is precious...and if he doesn't, then, baby, he wasn't really a friend, was he, and if he wasn't really a friend, why, sweetie, he's not worth your tears, so let him be, forget him... let him go, and move on..."

So, back to the present, and Mum's asking, "Why are you here, Jaemin?"

And he looks at her, and then he looks at me, and I'm guessing my eyes are asking the same question: "Why the heck are you here, you jerk?"

He smiles smoothly, and slaps the backpack on his back, and, whoa, why is that backpack on his back????

"I've got something to work on with Mina," he says smoothly. "We have to discuss something."

Mum and I speak in one voice.

"You do?"

"We do?" That's me, the squeaky voice, echoing my mum.

"The summer camp, remember?" He clucks a little, and shakes his head a bit, as if he's disappointed in me. "Don't tell me you forgot? Really, Mina. I spoke to you about it yesterday."

"It's like this, auntie," he says, turning to her. "Mina and I are in charge of communicating with the Interact Societies of other schools for our school's Interact Summer Camp next week. We'll be going through all the emails, and confirming who's going, and who's not. So, that's what we'll be doing this afternoon, and that's why," he bows gracefully, "I'm here."

"Oh." My mum and I say together.

Wow. I am amazed.

What a liar.

I'm floored, seriously.

All that nonsence he just sprouted, tripping off his tongue so silkily, so believably.

This. Guy. Is. Good.

"But..." My mum is looking confused, a pucker between her brows. "Aren't you in different forms? Aren't you two years older than Mina? Then how is it you're working together? I don't get it..."

I nod vigorously. That's a good question, Mum. Yes, Jaemin, I want to know, as well.

"Oh, it's a society thing, it's got nothing to do with academics. Mina and I are committee members of the Interact Club. I'm the President, and Mina's the, um, Secretary."

"Ohhhhh," I say, nodding to myself, and remembering, just in time, to smack my own head, as if to say, "Geez, silly me! I clean forgot I was the Secretary, thanks for reminding me, Prez."

"So, if you'll excuse us, Auntie, we really need to start working on the emails rightaway," he says, very efficient, very serious, all of a sudden. "Shall we do it in your room,  Secretary Kim?"

"My room????" I squeak.

Mum stares at me.

"I mean, my room, it is..." I say weakly. "This way, President Na..."

"I'm going out in ten minutes," Mum says. "I'll be back late. Can you make your own dinner? Dad and I will eat out, and we'll pack some takeaway for you, would that be all right?"

"Sure, Mum."

Above my mum's head, I see Jaemin. He's smiling faintly at me. And, he's got that wicked, dangerous little gleam in his eyes again, that look that turns my knees to jelly.

My mum's going out.

Jaemin and I will be in my bedroom.

We'll be alone all night, just the two of us.

 Alone in my bedroom.

My heart starts to pound.

And, to be honest, truthfully honest with you...

I can't wait...