Innocent Curiosity (Finnlena)

When it came to Mystic Falls, the Mikaelsons were entirely unwanted. To Finn Mikaelson, that was obvious from the beginning. He was used to his family being unwanted wherever they want, so it wasn't as if the hostility came as a surprise to him. 

 He knew why the Mikaelsons were unwanted. No one even had to explain to him that it was his brother Klaus' fault, because he already knew who the problem was. He loved all of his siblings, but now he wished he wasn't related to Klaus at all. Maybe then he could spend some time around town without anyone regarding him with suspicion. 

 There was one person in particular Finn was beginning to have an interest in: Elena Gilbert. She was so young, from a small town and hadn't done many significant things in her life before discovering she was a doppelganger. He was aware that she was now trapped in some sort of love triangle with those Salvatore bothers. Klaus also needed her to create more hybrids, and his other brother Elijah seemed to have a lot of respect for the girl. What Finn wondered about was why? What was it about young Elena Gilbert? 

 Finn knew there was no one he could ask about Elena without being given a look of suspicion and/or asked why he was interested in her. He wouldn't be able to gave an answer either, because he didn't know why he was interested in her; he just was. 

 There happened to be an afternoon when Finn was walking on one of the main streets of town. He stopped when saw Elena Gilbert coming in his direction, walking alone. He didn't know why she would be alone since she seemed to have a multitude of friends, but she didn't seem to notice she was walking straight towards him. Normally, he wouldn't have started a conversation, but he stepped forward and said, "Good afternoon, Miss Gilbert." 

 She stopped and stared up at him. "Finn. Um, hi." 

 He nodded. "Yes, hello. It's a, um, a nice afternoon, isn't it?" 

 "Yeah. Look, do you want something? If not..." 

 That obviously meant she was busy and had things to do. That, or she just wanted to get away from him as quickly as possible. 

 "Oh, no. Nothing in particular today." He stepped to the side so she could continue on her way. She didn't even say a goodbye. 

 Now, it was understandable since he was a Mikaelson, but to Finn she had seemed very rude. What had he done besides say hello? 

 "Is this what innocent curiosity gets you these days?" he said to no one in particular. 

 "Oh, what are you complaining about this time?" 

 This time it was his sister Rebekah walking toward him. He knew she hated Elena, and doubted she would have anything good to say. 

 "I just saw Elena Gilbert," he began, falling into step with Rebekah. "I was a little curious about her, so I stopped to say hello. She looked at me as if I were completely insane, and she made it very obvious she didn't want to talk to me. She was a bit rude. I just thought maybe I'd like getting to know her better." 

 "Why would you even bother?" Rebekah asked. "She's not worth the time. Even you could do better." 

 Finn wasn't sure if that was meant to be insulting or not, but he didn't reply. Yes, he thought Elena had been rude, but maybe if he tried again she would see that he wasn't trying to give her any trouble. He wasn't sure if that would actually work, but he secretly hoped it would.