Chapter 45

A few hours had passed and you had most of the case set up. All you needed to do was to contact Li Jing and ask her to become one of the witnesses that you would use to strengthen your point. You sent her a letter.

Li Jing, 

Lord 5, who I have found to be named Liu Wei, is going to be put on trial. I am asking you to be a witness. You know him and have told me about his strange behavior. Please come as quickly as possible. Everything has been arranged by the Warden. The trial will take place in three days. Thanks for all of your help. 

                                     -(y/n)

You slipped the letter into the envelope and told one of the guards that were guarding the door to deliver it to the post office. You had everything ready now. The case, your points , your witnesses, everything. The jury would be made up of a slurry of people, some of them being Hajime, Kiji, Kenshiro, and Samon. They all knew Enki. 'not really'  You then remembered two other people that had met with Enki before. 'Liang and Upa' You remembered them telling you about how harshly he treated the inmates. They could be a valuable asset. 'Would they even want to defend Enki?' you thought. You remembered Liang telling you some of the near-death experiences he had with him. '... would they even want to help me?' You sat there for a few minutes, debating on weather or not you were going to ask them. In the end, you decided on asking. A bigger chance of winning the case. You tried to calm your breathing as you made your way to the cell, still on crutches. 'They don't know that I've returned' you thought to yourself. 'they still think I'm missing' A wave of guilt passed over you as you thought of how worried they were because of you. 'For Enki.' you thought as you forced yourself to keep walking. The cell was in sight. You had been given your keys back, so that meant that you had the keys to their cell. It was rather late, so they would probably be asleep. You approached the cell as quietly as possible. Everyone was laying down except for Upa, who was meditating. While he was facing you, his eyes were closed and he didn't seem to notice or didn't care that you had arrived. You unlocked the cell. It made a rather loud creeking sound as you swung it open. 'He surely heard that' you thought to yourself. He still hadn't budged. You made your way to him. While he was sitting criss cross, he was using his Qigong to float, making his height match yours. You were right in front of him. He still hadn't moved. Then, out of nowhere, he spoke, "What do you want, boar?" His voice was harsh. 'boar? He only calls Inori that.' You thought for a second. 'does he think I'm Inori?' You brushed it off and worked up the courage to speak. "So now I'm a boar?" At the sound of your voice, his eyes shot open. He looked at you, shock apparent on his face. He dropped to the ground, pouncing on you. He had tackled you in a hug. Though you thought this was very sweet, He had landed on your leg. You let out a yelp of pain. He stopped and looked for any injuries. He saw your leg. Though he tried to keep his calm face on, he faltered a bit. He stuttered a quick "sorry" before helping you up. He led you to his bed and sat down, motioning for you to do so too. You did. He started first. "Where have you been?" Since you couldn't think of a direct answer, you said, "It's complicated. Look, I need your help." He looked at you, waiting for you to finish. "Enki is innocent and-" "He is not innocent. he clearly murdered an inmate. And in the past he-" "He was being controlled by a member of the council." He stopped talking, confused. "He was controlled. You nodded. You gave him a small summary of what happened. He agreed to help. Liang woke up due to the talking. He looked groggily around the room until his eyes landed on you. "(y/n)?" you nodded. He was about to tackle you in a hug as Upa did, but Upa stopped him. "She's injured" he said, referencing to her leg. "What happened?" "I'll explain later" Said Upa, "But for now we need to help. Enki is innocent. We interacted with him before. We could help her." Liang, of course confused, said, " Enki's innocent?" Upa nodded, "I'll explain later, but for now" He turned to you, "I have a question." you let out a 'hm' sound. "Why did you have to leave? That stupid boar isn't very good. You could have told us. Everyone was worried sick." The guilt was now very apparent. You tried to think of a reason again, but you couldn't. "I... I don't know. All I knew was that Enki was being framed. I needed to help him. And I-" Upa stopped you. He was well aware of your tendency to want to help people. That combined with the fact that you could be impulsive at times meant that sometimes, you did really stupid things. He knew that you did't want to hurt anyone. "It's fine, we'll talk about it later" You sighed in relief. With this, you led them to your office where you added their information to your case. A while later, they were done. You escorted them back to their cell, and said goodnight. You decided to just sleep at work, so you took off your overcoat and hat, leaving you in the black pants and white button-up shirt. You sat back down at your desk, starting to perfect your case. You would free Enki. You had to.

Well would ya look at that, I updated on time. Also, while writing this, I realized that this book is almost over. Ending this book is going to be bitter sweet. But the end of this book means that I can start writing something else! I was thinking either another book or a one-shot book. If you have any requests or suggestions, feel free to comment it down below. Anyways, the next one should be out by either 6/11 or 6/12. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! So YEET.