「Chapter 11」Walking and Talking

-

Once I got back, the gang was quite excited to see me.
"Yo, (Y/N)!" Larry yelled, "You won't believe what just happened!"
"What?" I asked.

"Travis just-" Larry was cut off by Ash stating, "Travis just said hi to us just a few minutes ago! Without any attitude!!"
"I was gonna tell her!" Larry bickered. "I'm sorry I was just too excited! I couldn't hold it in," Ash replied with a chuckle.

"He what??" I asked confused.
"Yeah," Sal said, "I'm still in shock."
"I'm still confused, why in the world would he have a change in mind?" Todd asked.

"Oh...I may have talked to him before I went to the bathroom. I even got him to agree to stop bullying Sal," I answered and smiled nervously.
I then explained everything to them. How Travis was crying on the bench, and how I was nice enough to listen to him.

"Hm...did he ever tell you why he was crying?" Todd questioned. My eyebrows furrowed, "I asked him early on and he ignored me by talking over me. It might've been from guilt because of the fight we had?"
"That's a good guess," Ash replied.

"I'm glad the bastard is finally gonna leave Sal alone now. Travis has been bothering my dude for months!" Larry exclaimed. Sal sighed in relief, "Thank goodness. I'm glad you talked to him, (Y/N). I hope he slowly becomes a better person."
"Me too, Sal," I told him and gave him a smile. I got the urge to ruffle his hair, so I did. We exchanged laughs before Todd cleared his throat and said, "Good work, (Y/N). I didn't believe it was possible for someone to change Travis like that but here we are."

-

After school, I walked back with just Sal because the rest of the gang had to do a project at school. I've been really wanting to spend some time with him alone.
"Hey Sal?" "Yeah?"
"Do you ever..." I hesitated, "...get nightmares about what happened that day?"
"What day?" He asked, puzzled. I spoke again, "The day when we arrested Charlie. The day where we saw...the body."

I cringe at remembering what I saw, "Well I think it's her that's popping up in my dreams, but she looks a little different. And there's this stupid ringing in my ear that comes and goes and it keeps yelling at me— I don't know what to think about all of this."

"Why didn't you tell me about this?" He asked.
"I didn't want to talk to you or Larry about it because I didn't want to burden you with any of it," I replied. My eyes start watering and I quickly wipe them away with my hands.

Sal gets in front of me and gives me a hug. My eyes widen and I start to sob. I put my face in the crook of his neck and I hug him back.

"(Y/N)...I want you to know that you don't have to worry about burdening us," Sal speaks without letting me go, "You're important to everyone and talking to us about your troubles is what we're here for. We're your friends. I'm your friend. And I'm so sorry I put you through that. Lar and I go through shit like that all the time, and it wasn't right bringing you into this when you were so new."
We pull apart and I'm touched by his words.

"You mean it?" I ask with my post-cry voice.
"Of course, I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it, right?" He says and chuckles. I laugh with him and we continue walking.

"You know, I did enjoy being apart of your crime solving," I said with a smile, "You didn't need to apologize for it. You just wanted to include me, and I thank you for that."
"Haha, really?" Sal asked, surprised, "I'm glad you had fun at least."

"You mean at lot to me already," I stated. I paused and then I tried to cover that sentence up, "N-No one forgets their first friends, right? You guys are great!"