Nothing serious

Whitney's POV

I bit into my cornbread as I stroked Janet's back and leaned back against the couch.

"Whit, you're dropping crumbs on my head!" 

I rolled my eyes and chuckled, "Move your big ass off of my lap and let me eat my food in peace, then!" 

She pouted and continued to lay her head on my lap, "But I'm sad.." I sighed and tossed the cornbread back onto my plate, slightly moving, while she whined.

"Girl, shut the hell up, my leg's asleep!" She glanced up at me and squinted as I finally readjusted my leg. "You know, I have to admit something. I never would have imagined you and Mariah becoming a thing."

"First off, we're not a thing. Secondly, I don't believe anyone would have. That should have been the first red flag, huh?" I chuckled, watching her voluntarily remove her dome from my lap to grab her plate off of the coffee table. "I knew I shouldn't have risked it. I always tell myself not to get too attached. It's only fun, Janet. They never reciprocate it back-"

"You know what you need, Jan?" 

She scraped her fork against the plate, picking up as many collards as she could, "What?" 

I watched her shove a few forkfulls in her mouth. "You need to relax and get your mind off of that child. She's out living her best little light-skinned life-"

"Gee, thanks, Whit." She mumbled, rolling her eyes.

"What I was getting at is, you may be upset, but momma Whit ain't finna let you stay up all sad waiting for her to return home like you're some lost puppy. Let's have some drinks of our own! Let's watch some movies and black out on this couch."

She giggled, biting into her cornbread, "...but the couch hurts my back."

I nodded, agreeing, "Yeah, this couch bout as cheap as a hooker."

She nodded and bounced on it, "How much you think they spent on this?"

"Chile, I don't know. I just said it's bout as cheap as Madonna." I replied, standing up with my now-empty plate. Jan laughed, shaking her head and followed me up to my room.

"I thought we were making drinks first?"

I shrugged, "I may have a... secret stash."

Janet's POV

A laugh slipped from my mouth, "I knew you were a lush!"

"He ain't turn water into wine for no reason!"

My laugh grew harder as we stepped into her room. Whitney's style always made me feel at home. There was something about it that reminded me of my mother's. My eyes scanned around, observing the cream-colored curtains and burgundy flower-engraved bed spread. She had such an old soul. 

"Helloooo? Earth to Janet!" 

I snapped out of my thoughts, zoning back in. "Huh?"

"I said, red or white?" She grinned, holding up two bottles of wine. 

I matched her smile and shrugged, "Why not both?" 

That only made her grin grow wider. "I knew you were my favorite for a reason."

I sat my plate down and climbed on her bed, "You sure it's not because you want to ride my brother into the sunset?"

She smirked, winking right after, "You tell Mikeybear he can come back whenever he wants." 

My hand quickly gripped my stomach as I playfully gagged. She waved me off and popped open the bottles while I finished off my food. "I'm surprised you didn't try and leave with him."

She chuckled, "Oh, trust me. Had I not signed the binding contract for this show, I would have volunteered to be his neck pillow on his flight back." 

I burst out laughing, "Whitney!"

"What?" She grinned, handing me a bottle. "I figured we could just switch off between bottles. I'm too lazy to go downstairs for the glasses, and we gon' be too drunk to make it down them steps alive." 

I cheesed and grabbed the bottle, chugging some immediately.

"Janet!"

"You said get black out drunk!"

She laughed and hit the lights, "You're right. Choose a movie first!"

We both sat down and skimmed through a bunch of movie titles, drinking simultaneously. By the time we settled on one, we were both half way through our bottles. I giggled and held my bottle up, trying to see how much liquid was left.

"How you gon see if the lights off?" 

I looked at Whit and burst out laughing, "You're right! Let's switch!" She grinned and switched with me as Boomerang played. I let out a heavy sigh and laid back against the headboard. "Whitney, maybe I should reach out, y'know?"

She shook her head and took a swig of the wine, "Hell to the no. That child ain't nothin but a bad addiction. You love to go back to her whenever you want some temporary relief from your loneliness, but what does she offer you besides that?" 

I huffed and drank some more, letting the sweeter wine slip down my throat. "She never pushes me away, Whit. No matter how moody I get or how irritating I can be, she rejoices with open arms."

"Probably because you're the only other one chasing kitty in here!"

I giggled and nudged her as she shook her head and joined in on the laughter. Once our bottles were empty and the movie was coming to an end, Whit drunkenly hit my leg. We were both laid out crookedly on the comforter.

"Hey... J-Jan?" Whit called out, following it with a hiccup. 

I giggled and rubbed my heavy eyes, "Hm?"

"You didn't text her did you?" 

"She did." We both jumped up, terrified at Mariah's soft voice. 

I slowly looked at Whit, "I sent twelve m-messages."

I figured she would go off and rebuke me or something, but all she did was grin. "Tonight was a great idea, Jan."

We both burst out into a fit of laughter while Mariah shook her head, flicking on the light, causing Whit and I to groan.

"Come to bed, Jan." Mariah stated. Someone was being a sourpuss.

"No, I'm having a good time with Whitney. We're drinking!" I slurred, refusing her offer.

She propped a hand on her hip and sighed, "Jan, y'all already drank all the damn wine! Besides, Whitney is asleep!" She lifted her hand, signaling to Whit, who was indeed asleep. 

I looked down at her and poked her side, "Damn, she dozed off fast." 

Mariah shook her head and dragged me out of the bed with a hand around my waist, "I come back from a long night and here you are drunker than a skunk."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes and stumbling in the dark hallway, "Nobody asked you to help me out of her room." 

She shook her head, "If I don't help you, who will?" 

I rolled my eyes again, "I didn't need help. I could've been fast asleep right beside Whit." 

She frowned and once we got inside of the bedroom, she helped my into the bed. "You shouldn't be in her bed."

I giggled drunkenly, "And why not, Mimi?" I snuggled under the insanely soft covers and yawned, looking at her, "Well?"

She kicked off her heels and sighed, dimming the light, "Because Jan, you belong in mine."

I arched an eyebrow, finally realizing that the room she had brought me into was hers.