12) Meetin' The Kids

Greg didn't talk about his kids all that often and whenever he did he'd get a distant look in his eye and quickly change the subject.

All that Mycroft knew was that Greg had two children, both girls. One was called Anna, she was 14, and the other was called Grace, who was 9.

So when the time came that he was ready to meet them he realised just how little he knew. Greg had of course told him that he'd answer any questions that Mycroft had, because he wanted everyone to be comfortable when the three most important people in his life met.

Mycroft had told him not to worry, not wanting to upset Gregory with any questions at the time, now he was actually standing in front of them though he almost wished he had.

Anna had politely greeted him and held out her hand for him to shake. "Nice to meet you, Mr Holmes." She said.

Mycroft smiled at her and shook her hand gently. "It's nice to meet you too. And please, call me Mycroft." He said, trying his best not to deduce her, but instead just observe her. She didn't look like Gregory that much, there were elements of him of course but her aqua blue eyes presumably came from her mother. Mycroft could only guess that though, Gregory had never talked about his ex-wife besides the odd bitter comment.

"Daddy says you work for the government!" Grace, on the other hand, was the spitting image of her father. She had his chocolate brown eyes, his wide infectious smile and his no nonsense attitude it would seem.

Greg nudged his daughter gently. "Grace, is that how we greet someone?"

Grace shook her head slightly, looking up at both her father and then Mycroft with apologetic eyes. "I'm sorry, it's nice to meet you Mr Holmes." She said, holding her hand out for Mycroft to shake, just like her big sister had done.

"It's quite alright, and it's nice to meet you as well. I can assure you, my job isn't as exciting as it seems." He replied with a small smile.

"Daddy told me your job is really boring so I shouldn't ask you but I wanna kno-"

"Grace why don't you go with your sister and look around a bit?" Greg said quickly, looking towards Anna who understood what was going on and was more than happy to dig her father out trouble.

"Yeah, come on Grace." Anna took Grace's hand and lead her towards what looked like the kitchen.

Mycroft looked up at Greg when the two girls were safely out of ear-shot and raised a brow. "My job's boring is it?"

"Well to be fair you're always complaining about how tedious it is..." Greg replied, a little sheepishly. "I just didn't want her to get too curious and ask about the more PG 13 aspects of your job."

"The what aspects?"

"Mycroft, she's nine years old. You run the country, there's stuff she can't know." Greg said, almost in disbelief that he had to explain this.

"Yes, of course, but she can't help being curious. It's only natural that she ask questions, even if they are difficult to answer, she is your daughter after all." Mycroft replied, smiling like someone who knows they've won.

"Yeah well-" Greg searched his mind for anything he could say to that but upon seeing his boyfriend's smirk he stopped. "I guess I deserved that."

Mycroft continued to smile, letting Greg know that yes, he did deserve that. They both heard a sequel from the kitchen and were there in a matter of seconds. Greg, naturally, was first through the door. "What's going on?"

Grace was bouncing up and down excitedly. "There's cookies!" She exclaimed, pointing to the tray on the kitchen counter that was covered in cookies. "Can I have one? Pleeease!"