31) Gregory's Birthday

Now you'd think that Mycroft Holmes would be a bit more up on these things, but he'd never actually found out when Gregory Lestrade's birthday was. They'd been dating for almost a year and his own birthday had been and gone, Greg had made the day a wonderful one.

"Gregory?" Mycroft asked, sat at the kitchen island watching his boyfriend.

"Hm?"

"When is your birthday?"

Greg looked up from the washing up he was doing and gave Mycroft a quizzical look. "Don't worry, you haven't missed it. Why?"

Mycroft hadn't expected to have to explain it but he did anyway. "Because it occurred to me that I don't know when it is and I would like to."

"Don't you know everything about me?" Greg replied, going back to the washing up. "Isn't it all on some file somewhere?"

"Yes but hearing it from you would be much nicer."

"It really doesn't matter Myc."

"Oh but it does, I can assure you."

"Yeah well I can assure you that it doesn't." Greg's tone was a little more hostile that he'd meant it to be.

Mycroft was taken back by the edge in Gregory's voice. He couldn't understand why the other man was getting so defensive over this. "I didn't mean offend you in any way."

Greg sighed. "No, I know. I'm sorry Myc. I just, I haven't done anything for my birthday in years, not since..." He trailed off, assuming that Mycroft could fill in the dots.

Mycroft was very careful with his next words. "...Since your wife left?"

"Ex-wife." Greg corrected quickly. "And yeah, not since then... Besides it's just a day, doesn't mean anything. Surprise, you survived another year, good for you." His voice was lined with sarcasm and bitterness.

Mycroft hadn't seen Gregory like this in a long time. He would make a mental note to not bring this subject up any more than absolutely necessary. "Yes, I suppose you're right. But if that's the case then why did you go to such lengths to make sure my birthday was special?"

Greg turned around to look at Mycroft but found he didn't really have a decent answer. "Well, cause, you're you. And you're great. And I want to make sure you enjoy yourself... Just cause I don't celebrate doesn't mean that you shouldn't."

"I see." Mycroft said, nodding slightly. "Well, if it's my personal opinion that you are a fantastic human being and should be celebrated everyday." He paused and considered his next words carefully. "...Would I be allowed just one day to make do with?"

Greg glanced away, blushing just slightly. "I- I guess that would be ok..." He mumbled. "It's June 30th by the way..."

Mycroft smiled joyfully. "Thank you Gregory." He said before he realised something. "You lied when you said I hadn't missed it, it's September."

Greg shrugged with a grin. "Sorry, I guess it slipped my mind. Oh well, can't be helped. I guess you'll have to wait until next year."

Mycroft was annoyed in that moment but the next day when he came home with an eight week old puppy to surprise Gregory with, he felt slightly better about it all.