22) Birthday Surprise

Mycroft never expected the evening of his birthday to lead to anything more than dinner and a movie.

He knew there would be more though, with Gregory there always was. Last year it was an orchestra playing his favourite Beethoven symphony. The year before that it had been sky writing. Apparently Greg wasn't the only one who could make things happen. Whenever asked about it he would say, "the conductor owed me a favour," or something like that.

Greg always did his best to make Mycroft's birthday special, and he always succeeded. It might not always go exactly how he planned, but it was always good. Whatever he did got bigger and better every year, he outdid himself to surprise Mycroft.

And surprise Mycroft he did. Try as he might Mycroft could never deduce or work out what Gregory was planning. Which scared him slightly, knowing Gregory it could be something dangerous.

Mycroft walked cautiously into the house, his guard up, completely ready for anything. There was no noise though, no big surprise, not yet anyway.

"Hey love." Greg called as he walked into the hallway. He kissed Mycroft on the cheek and smiled warmly at him. "Happy birthday, I made your favourite."

Mycroft smiled back at his boyfriend and allowed himself to be lead into the living room where Greg had laid out a salmon dinner and some of his favourite red wine. They sat and watched the sound of music, Mycroft's favourite film, while they ate together and before long Greg was getting a bit jittery.

"Are you alright Gregory?" Mycroft asked, he didn't see any reason for his boyfriend to be that way.

"Yeah fine." Greg replied quickly as he got up and grabbed their plates. "Stay here a sec, I'll get dessert." He called as he walked over to the kitchen.

Mycroft nodded and watched the other man leave. He wondered what was going on. Was this it? Nothing more to come? He did enjoy the evening, he loved it in fact but a little part of him couldn't help but be disappointed.

Greg came back fairly quickly. He was carrying something on a tray but it was covered with a tea cosy. Mycroft observed what was happening curiously as Gregory placed whatever it was he was holding on the table in front of them and grabbed the remote to pause the film. He sat down next to Mycroft without a word and looked deeply into his eyes. "Myc, I have something very important to say."

Mycroft was a bit unsure of what was going on. "Yes Gregory, what is it?"

"I-" Greg paused, shifting nervously, he took his boyfriend's hands in his before saying, "Mycroft, I'm pregnant."

Mycroft burst out laughing as soon as he heard that. Greg smiled, good, that was a good reaction. When Mycroft collected himself he just grinned at Greg. "Is that all you wanted to tell me?"

"Well, no. There's something else..." Deep breath, don't be nervous. "Myc, I- I'm usually good with words but I think if I try and talk too much right now, I'll ruin everything..." Mycroft gave his hands a gentle, reassuring squeeze. "So um, what I wanted to say was..." He suddenly slid off the sofa and got down on one knee in front of Mycroft. "Will you marry me?"

Mycroft was speechless, he expected something more like "I'm dying". Well, maybe not, but he really didn't expect this. So that's why Gregory was so nervous... "Yes, yes of course. Nothing in the world would make me happier." He said pulling Greg into a tight embrace.

Greg was a little shocked at the sudden movement but he hugged Mycroft back just as tightly. They were both smiling and crying tears of joy. They stayed like that for a while, relief washing over Greg.

Greg pulled out after a minute. "Don't worry, I did get you a ring." He said, pulling the tea cosy off of the tray he'd brought in. There sat a little scarlett velvet box which Greg quickly reached for and opened, pulling out a small-ish but no less beautiful ring and sliding it carefully onto his now fiancé's finger.

Mycroft studied it in awe for a while. "Gregory it's wonderful..." He said quietly. "Thank you so much." Before Greg could respond he was pulled into another hug, he wasn't complaining.

They stayed like that for a long time, at this point Greg was back on the sofa. Mycroft was the one who broke the silence. "So is the ring dessert then?"

"No I do actually have dessert in the kitchen. I had a few different plans in case they all went pear shaped but in the end I couldn't wait any longer..." Greg replied, he realised about halfway through that he'd answered the question and was going off on one so he just mumbled the last bit. "Want me to go and get it?"

"I rather fancy something else for dessert right at this moment..." They were still hugging and Mycroft ran a finger slowly down Greg's back.

Greg got the message. "Even if dessert is chocolate cake?" He asked, knowing that Mycroft had a weakness for this food.

Mycroft perked up slightly, all previous thoughts forgotten. "Oh go on then."

Greg grinned, got up, and walked towards the door. "It may or may not say 'marry me' on it..." He mumbled as he left.

Mycroft chuckled to himself, that must have been one of Greg's abandoned plans. The way he chose to do it was perfect though and Mycroft wouldn't change a thing. One thing was certain, Greg certainly outdid himself this year.