29) Mycroft

Soulmate AU

In the early years of Greg's life, his mother had always told him stories of soulmates. Specifically how people in the family had found each other. How she had met his father, how his grandfather had met his grandmother or how auntie Susan and uncle Trevor had found each other.

So naturally when he was around the age that his soulmates name would start appearing on his wrist, he was ecstatic. The day the ink first appeared was magical. It was faint and bearly even noticible, in fact it was his mother who had first spotted it, but it was there.

As the days went on he'd watch the ink grow stronger. He'd sit in school and stare dreamly at the word. At night sometimes he'd lay awake and softly stroke that place on his wrist, wondering about the person who was receiving his name on their wrist.

Within a few weeks, he could almost make it out. There was definitely an 'M' a the beginning. His mother insisted that he cover it for the rest of the week so they could get the family round at the weekend and have a big revealing party. It was tradition after all.

Friday was a drag. He sat in school, looking out of the window, or at the sweatband on his wrist, how easy it would be to just look and see who his soulmate was. He resisted though, just about.

The walk home seemed even worse. All he knew was that tomorrow would be the longest day of his life as he waited to be able to take the sweatband off. The writing would be clear now, he was alone, he could-

No.

He ran home to avoid further temptation.

When at home the lights were out, his dad was still at work so his mum must have gone out somewhere. He stepped inside and turned the light on in the living room.

"SURPRISE!"

He jumped out of his skin. His whole family was there, his mum and dad, his grandparents, his aunt and uncle, his cousins. They were all there, all looking expectantly at him.

"Go on love, what does it say?" His mother urged, nodding to his wrist.

Greg swallowed thickly and looked down. He slowly peeled away the band and saw the writing for the very first time.

"Where the hell am I gonna find a 'Mycroft'?"