41) Asexual Interactions

A winter evening in London. Mycroft had worked most of the day, and had spent his little free time texting his boyfriend, Gregory.

In fact, he was meeting Gregory where he worked right now, at Scotland Yard.

He wanted to surprise his boyfriend so he walked right into the building, Sandra the receptionist let him in of course, they knew each other, naturally. He then made his way up the stairs and towards Greg's office.

As it turns out, Greg was still inside his office, hunched over some case or another. Mycroft cleared his throat.

"Hm? Oh Myc! Hi, sorry, did I lose track of time?" Greg blurted out as he saw his boyfriend standing there.

"Well yes and no." Mycroft replied was a small, teasing smile. "I arrived in plenty of time and came up here to surprise you but I have been standing here unnoticed for about ten minutes."

Greg's eyes went wide. "Wait really?!" He asked in disbelief before noticing Mycroft's grin. "You git. To think I almost believed you." He said, smiling as he moved around the desk and gave his boyfriend a kiss on the cheek.

Mycroft made absolutely no move to stop Greg and hummed happily. "Yes well, maybe it's proof of how much you need a break from work."

Greg barked a laugh. "That's rich coming from you. I'll just finish up in here and gather some things, then we can go yeah? Feel free to make yourself some coffee in the break room or something."

"Thank you Gregory." Mycroft replied, he knew that being near Gregory when he was 'tidying up' was not a wise idea, so he backed out of the room to let him get on with it. After a few minutes of waiting cheerfully outside the office he noticed a man watching him.

"Who are you then?" The man said once he realised he'd been spotted.

Mycroft didn't need to explain who he was to anyone. It was obvious this man wasn't important, anyone of any rank would have known him instantly. But he didn't want to cause any problems for Gregory, so he decided to be at least civil. "I'm just a friend of detective inspector Lestrade's."

The man scoffed. "Yeah, cause friends use their full titles. Why are you here huh? Waiting for a girlfriend or something?"

It was getting harder to be civil to this man. Yet Mycroft's love for Gregory heavily outweighed the minor inconvenience this man provided. "No, that's not my area."

"Oh, you're one of those. Waiting for a boyfriend then?" The man asked, stepping closer to Mycroft.

"Not, that's not my area either." Mycroft replied swiftly. He was waiting for his boyfriend but Gregory had already stated that he wasn't ready for people to know about their relationship so soon after the divorce with his ex-wife. Which Mycroft respected.

"What you into then?" This man seemed to do nothing but ask uncomfortable questions.

At this point, Mycroft just wanted the man to leave him alone. So he decided to tell the man the truth, well half of it. "Not that it's any of your business but I'm asexual."

"Asexual? Yeah right! That's not a thing. You just can't get any I bet."

Mycroft was about to clench his hand into a tight fist when he felt a comforting warmth there, that when he glanced down turned out to be Gregory's hand.

"Sorry about that Mycroft." Greg quickly interjected, placing a light kiss on his boyfriend's clenched jaw. "It took a little longer than I thought but we can go now." Without another word he pulled Mycroft towards the stairs.

However grateful he might have been, Mycroft was slightly confused. With a light blush dusting his cheeks and a dazed, maybe awe-struck, expression on his face he mumbled: "I thought you weren't ready for your co-workers to know."

Greg didn't look back. "Yeah well, I just thought it was time they learned a thing or two. Damn, I left my coat in my office. It won't take two minutes, meet you outside?"

Mycroft, still not sure how to process this all, just nodded slowly and watched as Gregory walked back the way they'd came. He made his way downstairs until he reached the reception, deciding to wait by the door instead of brave the cold.

When Greg came back, four minutes later (Mycroft was counting), he looked like he was ready to leave. He smiled warmly at Mycroft, took his hand and went outside. In that time Mycroft had deduced that Gregory had been roughed up slightly but had swiftly taken out whoever his attacker was. "Did you go back just to scold that man?"

Greg froze. His cheeks went slightly red and he refused to make direct eye contact. "What, no. You know me Myc, I'm not that kind of guy."

Mycroft just smiled to himself. Partly because of just how much he loved Gregory and partly because he was amused by this. "You don't have a coat with you Gregory."

"Maybe I went into my office and forgot why I'd gone in."

"You never wear a coat." Mycroft returned, grinning down at the flustered man he was walking with.

"Maybe I meant I forgot it at home..."

"Do you even own a coat?"

"Shut it."

Mycroft couldn't help but laugh gently. "It's ok Gregory. It's sweet of you. Thank you." He said before kissing Greg's forehead softly.

Greg smiled a little. "Anytime Myc."