Chapter 2

The boss at the public pool, Mr. Hilarson (Or Hilary), handed Tom the blue whistle.

"Congratulations Tom, you're hired. You will be starting Monday of next week. I expect you to be here at 9."

"I appreciate it, sir." Tom said gratefully. He walked out of the staff room, shoving the whistle down his pocket.

He was still sore from all the swimming exercises and tests. It was going to be worth it though, him and his beautiful bass will soon be united. . .

He heard the staff room door close,and out walked Susan, swinging her metal whistle around her finger.

"Guess who's going to be your partner~" She cooed. Susan had black and white checker hair (Don't even say a word.) and beige eyes. She was also Tom's ex-girlfriend.

"Whatever Susan. You have fun." Tom rolled his eyes and began walking away from her.

"You know Tom, it's only 6 and if you wanted to get something to eat-"

"Which I don't."

"-I would pay." She finished, her voice growing colder.

Tom scoffed. "I don't care! Leave me alone already."

Susan stopped swinging the whistle. She starred as Tom left the public pool and her sight.

She cheated on him, so what? She still loved him, even though he is harder to crack then anticipated. . .

Tom gritted his teeth. Of all people to be working that job with him, it had to be Susan?! The damn bitch cheated on him and she acts as if she did nothing wrong. She is going to be such a pain.

Ding!

Tom pulled out his phone.

"Edd: Hey Tom, you got the job, right?"

Tom began to type back.

"Tom: What are you, psychic? Yes, I got the job. But so did Susan."

"Edd: Yes! You better let us in for free >:("

"Tom: What part of 'but so did Susan' did you not understand?"

"Edd: haha sucks for you"

"Matt: Could you guys stop spamming? I am trying to eat dinner with my grandmother!"

"Edd: I totally forgot this was a group text. LOL"

"Matt: stfu now >:("

Tom decided to turn off his phone.

"Oh Tord. . . I love you so much!"

"Haha, I love you too mom."

Her hold on Tord tightened as the front door of his father's house opened.

"Andrea, let go of the poor boy before he bursts!" He called out.

"Just on more moment Jakob, then I'll go." She said, her voice muffled.

Tord let go from his mother's embrace, giving her a warm and loving smile.

"See ya in a bit mom. I'll make sure to call."

She smiled back a worn down, tired smile.

She got back in the car, Tord waving as she left.

Tord picked up his two suitcases and walked inside his dad's house.

"Atta boy. Now, I know you just got here and all, but dad's gotta meet a... 'friend.' When you're done unpacking, feel free to hang out with your friends." His dad said almost as soon as Tord set the suitcases down on the guest bed.

He gave him that fake smile Tord knew all too well. It was plastic and sly, and it made him sick.

"Dad, are you seeing them again?"

"'Course not! Son, you know those days are over. Now, I'll be back with some rocky road ice cream. Your favorite, correct?"

Tord looked away. "Yeah. . . "

He's lying. 

Tord yawned. It was 7:30 now, not too late to visit his pals.
When Tord was 11, he came on this trip and met two 13-year-old boys, Paul and Patryck, at the beach. They weren't the best behaving kids, but they were nice to Tord, so they became friends. Every summer they would hang out.

Tord stepped barefoot on the sidewalk. The cool stone against his feet felt good along the warm, summer air.
It wasn't like mom's place, but it wasn't better or worse.

It was just different.

Tord got out his phone and texted them. They had a meeting place, the small park next to the beach.

"Ayyy! Tordie is here!" Paul waved from the bench. Paul had shaggy chocolate hair and bushy eyebrows. He was wearing some random white tank-top he had probably found at a thrift store.

"Ah, he is." Patryck turned around, in his usual yellow hoodie. He had parted brown hair and normal eyebrows.

They were both 19 now, Tord 17.
Tord trotted up to the bench and sat down next to Paul, making him the middle.

"Damn dude, you're not looking bad!" Paul said, while Patryck just nodded.

"Eheh. . . I just got here like an hour ago, I look like shit. . ."

"That's true, haha." Patryck laughed. He pulled a pack of cigarettes from his hoodie pocket.

"Paul got me into these. Want one?"

"Nah, I'm good-"

"Hell yeah you do!" Paul yelled, snatching two from the pack and throwing one at Tord.

Patryck lit it, and they both started smoking away.

Tord only pretended to.