Chapter 27

"EEDDD!!" Tom screeched as Edd and Matt ran out the door.

But Tom couldn't run after them, knowing he would eventually have to face him.
Pat. 

Tom swallowed and walked to the front of the school, noticing it was beginning to grow dark out. He looked around the entrance, noticing a familiar car pull up.

Tom starred as it stopped in front of him.
The car honked, and Tom jumped a little in surprise.

Tom opened the door and got in the passenger's seat. Patryck sat behind the wheel, bags visible under his eyes. He looked pretty worn out.

Ever since Andrea's funeral, Patryck and Tom had an awkward air between them. It's not like they were completely buddy-buddy before, but now it was just. . . Off.

Patryck sniffed.
"What's your address." His nose was stuffed, so his voice came out more measly than usual.

Tom told him where he lived and Patryck put the directions in his phone.

He started the car and Tom stiffly buckled his seat belt.

"I'm sick right now, obviously, so just be aware of that."

"Right. . ." Tom replied, leaning on the side of the window.

They sat silently for a moment, not really wanting to speak to one another.

Patryck cleared his throat. "Did you hear what happened with Tord?" He said in a strained tone.

Tom nodded, his chin in his hands, elbow resting on the edge.

Patryck looked to Tom when he stopped at a red light.
"You know he is staying with his cousin and going to school tomorrow?" Layers of skeptical lined his voice as he spoke to Tom, leaning back in his chair giving off a slight glare.

"Um, yeah. . ."

The light turned green as the car continued.

The silence came back, but it felt like Tom was sitting on patches of sharp rocks.
Yeah, pretty damn uncomfortable.

Patryck finally sighed.
"I'm . . . I'm sorry for what I said the other day. I was just upset and wasn't in the right place."

Tom's shocked expression subtly turned to young adult.

Still facing the wheel, a concerned yet sad expression fell over Patryck.
"I just really care for Tord. I grew up with him. And seeing someone sweep him off his feet like that so easily-- I just, I dunno. . ."

Tom's face heated up at 'sweep him off his feet'.

"I-I GuEsS I GeT WhaT You'Re ComIng FrOm. . ."

Patryck smiled a little. "Yeah."

The car slowed, and Tom's house came into view.

"Maybe you really are made for Tord. Who knows."

Pat hung his arm over Tom's shoulder and leaned in. His expression darkened.

"If you so much as hurt even a hair on Tord's body, I will come down and end you.

Tom nodded.

Pat chuckled, then accidentally sneezed on Tom.

Tom glared at him.
"Thanks." He said as he got out of the car.

Patryck laughed and said good-bye.

The next morning, Tom didn't got to school due to being sick.