Chapter 11

The sky was a perfect light blue, no clouds in sight. The sun seemed to be brighter than ever, hotter than ever too.

The plot of grass had scattered patches of dried grass, the stale yellow blades mixing in with the fresh green around it.

Tord ran around it barefoot, he liked the different textures against his feet.

"Dad! Dad! Over here!" His squeaky 9 year-old voice shouted to his dad with excitement as he waved his arms wildly.

"Tord, be careful! Don't trip!" Andrea, his mom, yelled.  

The neon yellow Frisbee glided along the sky to Tord, who felt the hard crash in his palm as he caught it.

Tord's dad, Jakob, had been playing Ultimate Frisbee with his friends since they were kids. Sure, he looked like a dork whenever he met up with them and played the game, but 'it was tradition'.

Tord threw the Frisbee at his mom, who luckily caught it. He went to the nearby bench to drink his Gatorade, that had been sitting in the sun. He took a drink and it tasted like pencil shavings and blue scented crayons, but he loved it. He loved this.
Mom, dad, and him against the world.

Tord stayed in his room, clutching onto that same neon Frisbee.
The screaming back and forth in the other room scared him. Why do mom and dad always fight? Why can't they just play Frisbee in the park again? It's so loud. . .
"THAT IS IT!" Andrea screamed, slamming the door shut.

Tord felt his heart drop. It was quiet. . . So, so quiet.

He heard Jakob sob, his back hitting the wall.

Little strings of wet rolled out of Tord's eyes. It feels so awful here. . . It feels so sick.

"Tord! Answer my question!"

"Huh?! Wait, what?!"

Paul groaned, flopping on the couch.

"Tord, where is your damn Frisbee!" 

"Oh, uh. . ." Tord coughed, walking to the hallway closet and taking out the now beaten Frisbee.

"Finally!!" Paul yelled, taking it.

"Looks like someone is on their period. . ." Yuu mumbled. 

Tom tapped the white chair. 
It's been about a week since he first met the gang, and they are usually here about this time.
But today, they're not here. Where the hell could they be?

"Toomm!!" Matt called, running to him. "Where is your love interest?" He asked, eyes sparkling.

"Go away Matt!! Tord is not my 'love interest'! Now go play with Edd or something!"

"Don't worry Tom, we are planning the perfect set up for you~" Matt cooed.

Tom's mad blush and mad expression wasn't enough to scare Matt away, so he pulled out the whistle.

"I'll send you out for an hour if you don't scram, NOW!"

Matt skipped away, laughing.

Tom grumbled some non-christian-server-safe words before noticing the gang was entering the pool.
Tom saw that from a distance, Paul held up a Frisbee to the boss, and he shook his head. Paul looked a little angry before walking back into his car. Tord held out his card, and Tord, Yuu, and Patryck walked through the gate.

Tom sighed in relief. At least they'll be here today.

It was now 9, and the pool was closed. Tom was stuck with late-night duty, so he had to do all of the cleaning.
As he began to vacuum the pool, he heard a rattling from the chain fence. He looked up and saw Tord, holding up his hand.

Tom set down the pool-vacuum and went to the fence.
"Tord? What are you doing here?"
Tord shrugged.
"I don't know. . . I just felt like I needed some air."
Tord's eyes had bags under them, and he looked tired.

Tom sighed.
"I'll let you in. . . But you have to help me with cleaning."
"Deal."

As Tom and Tord cleaned the pool, they told little jokes and small stories. It was nice getting to know each-other.

"Allright. Done." Tom declared. He took out his phone. "It's only 9:56!"
"Awesome." Tord replied, sitting down next to the pool's side. Tom sat next to him, sighing.
Tord began to take off his shoes, and put his feet in the water. Tom joined.

The moon light reflected off of the pool's surface, giving them some sort of gut feeling. A feeling of warmth, maybe some satisfaction. Some courage.

"The reason I came out here. . . I was feeling a little sad." Tord said, looking at his swaying feet.

"Why is that?" Tom asked.

"Paul wanted to use a Frisbee that brought back painful memories, I guess."

"Oh. . ."

Tom was quiet, but he felt that Tord was happy with the reply.
He put his head on Tom's shoulder.

"It's nice talking to you, Tom. You don't always try to dig so deep."

Tom blushed. "I-If you ever want to talk deep, then I. . ."

Tord giggled. "I know I can talk to you."

Tom felt his arm twitch, but he reluctantly wrapped his arm around Tord's shoulder.
Tord's face glowed, but he enjoyed the comfort.

They seemed to stay like that for hours, but only 5 minutes later Tom asked "You wanna do something fun?"

"Sure."

Tom pulled away.
"There is a spare pair of swim-trunks in the faculty room. Let's have a contest, just you and me."
Tord smiled.
"Game on!"

Tom, already being in his lifeguard get up, waited next to the faculty room.
Tord walked, wearing the blue and white striped jacket with a very small pair of swim trunks.
Usually reaching someone's knees, they went mid-thigh.

Tord blushed angrily. "I don't want to take off the jacket."

"Fine by me." Tom said, completely unconsciously.

"Well, what 'contest' are we doing?" Tord asked.

"A breathe holding contest." Tom replied, throwing a pair of swim-goggles at him.

"Oh, prepare to get owned!" Tord said, putting on the goggles.

As Tom got into the shallow-end, Tord took off the jacket.

"I thought you were keeping it on?" Tom asked.

"I guess I didn't want to get it wet, haha. . " Tord jumped into the pool.

They looked at each other, ready for the contest.
Tom adjusted his goggles, while Tord took deep breathes.
"3. . . 2. . . 1!"

They both launched underwater, starring directly at each-other through the goggles.
The moon-light seeped through the water, putting each-other in a soothing lighting.

5 seconds. . .

Tom couldn't last much longer, but he wouldn't let it show.

7 seconds. . .

Tord began doing weird hand signals at Tom, hoping it would distract him.

10 seconds-

Tom went up.

Tord followed, laughing.

A little bit later, they said goodbye and went home.

Tom opened his door and walked inside.

"Tom! Where have you been?!" His father boomed from the kitchen.

"I had late-night duty!" He said as he put his bag on the table.

"It's 10:43! You should have been home an hour ago!"

Tom sighed.

"I think I found the love of my life."