17

This is a flashback chapter so it is all set in the past. The next chapter will go back to present time.

Rich sat on a swing circling his feet and rocking them back and forth.

"Hi."

Rich looked up to see a kid his age staring at him. Rich tilted his head in confusion.

"Hi" Rich replied hesitantly.

"My names Jake" the boy smiled gently.

"I'm Rich" Rich responded.

"You are" Jakes eyes lit up "That's so cool! How much money do you have?"

Rich laughed "um my name is Rich."

"Oh" Jake chuckled "I'm sorry."

Rich shook his head "aw that's okay it was actually really funny."

"You think I'm funny?" Jake said hope lacing his voice.

Rich nodded "of course."

Jake twiddled his thumbs "so um would you like to be my friend."

Rich felt his heart go warm "Of course! I'd love to be your friend."

Jake grinned "awesome."

Time Skip

"Higher! Higher!" Rich screamed as Jake pushed him on the swing.

"I'm trying" Jake laughed.

"Rich!" Rich's mother screamed from her car parked in the playgrounds car park "we need to get home for dinner."

Rich nodded over to his mom "okay Mom one second."

Rich clambered of the swing and turned to Jake "I'll see you tomorrow Jake."

Jake nodded rapidly "I can't wait."

Rich wrapped Jake in a tight hug. Hesitantly Jake placed a small kiss on Rich's cheek. Rich's face was red as he pulled away from the hug.

"Um" Jake said "sorry."

Rich shook his head and returned Jakes kiss on the cheek "don't be."

Now it was Jakes return to blush. Rich turned and sprinted away to his Mom's car. Jake smiled as he watched him go.

Time Skip

"So what did you want to talk to me about?" Rich asked sitting down on the grass beside the playground the two used to go to when they were little.

Jake was very quiet. How was he supposed to tell his best friend this. They two had been through so much together. Almost every night either one of the two would sleepover at the others. He was so deep in thought.

"Jake?"

Jake looked over at Rich. His face was covered with worry. He knew his friend was concerned for him.

"Um" Jake sighed "I really don't know how to tell you this."

Rich raised an eyebrow "okay Jake you can tell me anything you know that we've been friends for years."