Chapter 6

Jeff took a fast step back when he saw me [picture is Briar now plus the pictures from before]. I could feel my ears fold back as I looked down.

"I knew you would be afraid, that's why I didn't say anything. I knew you would think differently of me, and I was right..." I turned away from him, glancing at him through the corner of my eyes. "...and you can expect me to be gone by tonight." I said. Then I walked down the stairs.

I felt like dyeing, knowing he wasn't going to stop me, but I don't know why. I guess I... no... I can't... besides, it doesn't matter. He doesn't feel that way about me.

I braced myself as I walked down the stairs. I could hear everyone whispering in the living room, there words clear to my sensitive hearing.

"I hope she's OK, she sounded really hurt." I heard BEN say, causing me to smile a little.

"I hope so too. I wonder what happened though." said Masky.

"Me too." said Hoodie.

I reached the bottom of the stairs and sniffled a little from crying earlier. They heard and looked at me with wide eyes. They seemed to move away from me, fear filling there eyes.

I looked down feeling hurt that my friends feared me. I could hear the familiar sound of a small girl gasp behind me. I turned around and saw Sally, a small girl with brown hair and peachy skin. She wore a pink dress and always carried a small brown teddy bear.

I reached out to touch her cheek but she flinched away. I was shocked that even she would be afraid of me. I pulled my hand to my chest as I felt fresh tears forming in my eyes. I watched as she turned away and ran. I looked down and bit back my tears. Maybe E.J. wouldn't be afraid of me, but I doubted that. It was worth a try though.

I turned in the direction of the kitchen and started walking. He has to be there, and I was right. He was standing in front of the fridge holding a bag of what I presumed to be fresh kidneys.

"E.J." I said softly, my voice cracking.

He stopped what he was doing and looked at me, dropping his bag. I reached out to pick it up but I stopped and backed away quickly when he pulled out his scalpel. I was feeling really hurt that they all feared me. I held back more tears as I clenched my fists. I need to find Slender.

I turned and ran from the room, nearly colliding with Slenderman. I hugged him and let out the sobs that I had been holding back. It was heart wrenching to know that my only friends now feared me. Even Slenderman seemed afraid as he hugged me back. I caught that and pulled back, glaring at him.

"You said you wouldn't be afraid of me. But you lied... my mom said that we were a lonely race destined to be feared by all and to be alone... she was right." I spat through my teeth with anger as I ran out the door as fast as I could and into the woods. No one came to stop me, only breaking my already broken heart some more.

***

I ran for what felt like hours as I neared my old home wearing my usual bedtime attire. It was really late and quite cold. I stopped by the front door as memories surged through me both good and bad.

I sighed and knelt down by the door mat and lifted a corner of it revealing the key to the front door. I picked it up, and stood back up, feeling the familiar cold metal in my hands. I unlocked the door and stepped into what was once my Heaven and Hell, and is now just a refuge for the night.

I walked down a narrow hall to a set of stairs and climbed them to my room, a small room with a single window and a hanging light with a pull chain and no cover. My bed looked moth eaten and molded since there was a leak in the ceiling. I opened my tiny closet and took out my black sling bag. I was happy that there were some clothes I had left in it for in case I had the chance to run away before all of this had happened.

I got changed quickly into black jeans, a black hoodie, and black boots so I could be warm when I leave. I searched the room a little bit and found my iPod fully charged and ready to use. I smiled to myself and put it in my hoodie pocket.

I walked downstairs and to the kitchen. I opened the pantry and took the non-perishables and some plastic eating utensils. I opened a cupboard and pulled out a coffee tin. I was hoping there would still be cash in it that dad was saving, but he's dead now so he doesn't need it anymore. I smiled as I saw the large roll still there. I closed the container and put it with my food supply.

Next was the cabinet under the sink. I opened it up and found the case of water bottles still untouched. I smiled and took as many bottles as I could fit in my bag. I was glad I thought about this because I didn't know how long it would be before I would be able to find an actual place to stay.

I finished packing and grabbed dad's hunting knife. I was a large blade but it was good to use. I slid it into my boot and headed out the front door, keeping the key with me. Why not? It'll be something to remind me of what I've been through alone and the hard times I'm sure I'll over come.