Chapter 10

My friends took meeting BEN and Jeff pretty easy, but I'm worried about how they'll think of the others. Well, actually, Cindy says she already likes them so I'm just worried about the other two.

We were on the long hike back to the mansion, and everyone was tired. We were only half way there though, but we still needed to stop and rest.

"Ok, let's stop here and make camp." I said with a yawn. The others were quick to agree.

Our campsite consisted of the road to our right, a dirt path to our left, and a tree in between. We could see the woods in the distance as we got ourselves settled.
I climbed up into the tree and relaxed on a long branch. BEN and Jeff rested at the base of the tree while Danny, Cindy, and Liam situated themselves on a patch of grass.

I smiled to myself and closed my eyes, letting sleep consume me.

***

I woke up in the middle of the night suddenly feeling parched. I got up and dropped down off the branch silently so I wouldn't wake the others. I walked to my bag, the one I used a year ago, and pulled out a water bottle. We packed some supplies before leaving. I opened it, my ears flickering with the soft cracking of opening a fresh bottle.

I heard the soft sound of someone breathing right behind me, and felt a warm breath traveling down the back of my neck. I smiled, thinking it was Jeff trying to scare me and turned around. I dropped my bottle as a hand covered my mouth and darkness clouded my vision making me defenseless. I couldn't move, but the last thing I saw was a pair of red eyes and many sharp-toothed smiles.