Chapter Eighteen

Elijah knocked politely on the door before him, and waited patiently for the occupance to gather their courage to answer.

"I know you're in there, Rose, Trevor. Open the door and I give you my word I will not kill you."

Elijah stated softly.

A moment later the big oak door squicked open and a beautiful young woman stepped back, inviting Elijah in. Elijah smiled in thanks and let himself in. Looking around he noted their little home was just a small humble cabin.

"I see you're attempting to settle in.. How very unwise of you."

He commented airly as he took in the small leaving quarters in mild disgust. Elijah noticed the absence of Rose' ever present dog and commented questionably where he was.

"Where is young Trevor? I find it strange to not see him holding onto your dress behind you like a lost child."

Rose clenched her jaw to refrain from raising to his mocking tone. She watched as he stalked around her home, looking at everything and even picking up a book from her bookshelf to shuffle through idly.

"He is out gathering firewood. I'm sure he will be back shortly."

She answered curtly, ready for the visit to be over. Elijah hummed noncommittally, aware of the fear emmitated off the delicate looking vampire before him. Rose jumped at the sudden loud sound of Elijah snapping the book shut.

"No matter, we will start without him. It has come to my attention that you my dear Rose, and your Trevor, harbored a certain damsel a few moons ago."

As he said this Elijah watched the emotions play across Rose' face, the most prominent dread.

"This certain damsel happens to belong to my brother Niklaus, now imagine what he would think knowing this is the last place his precious property was known to be alive."

At his words, Rose went paperwhite in panic.

"She isn't here, I swear! She escaped into the night! I went after her but three strange men appeared. They took her and disappeared into the woods. I tried to follow them but they were gone, I'm so sorry!"

Rose explained as fast and desperately as she could. Tears fell down her face as she threw herself down to the floor before the Original as she begged to be spared.
Elijah sighed at the pathetic display.

"Can you tell me anything about the "strange men?"

Rose latched onto the question like a life line, hoping to be as helpful as possible.

"Their were three of them, all had swords strapped to their hips, I didn't see there faces but one of them said something."

Rose said seriously.

Elijah started to feel uneasy the longer she spoke. "Please enlighten me."

"He said, "So this is the girl who will lead the Originals to us?"

Elijah wondered if maybe it was Mikeal but discarded that idea immediately because Mikeal would have just killed her. So who was it? Who knew about the doppleganger?

Rose suddenly perked up with a dawning expression on her face.

"I remember something else. The swords, they had some sort of symbol on the hilt. " Rose mumbled, trying to remember the detailing on the sword. Elijah suddenly appeared right in front her in a flash, urgency clear on his face. "What symbol." he demanded of her. Rose looked up into his eyes and suddenly remembered.