08 Outpost

The report on his desk read that there was a Gunner outpost at the Mass Pike Interchange.
He pinched the bridge of his nose and rubbed his eyes. It was late and he wasn't in the mood of thinking about that upcoming mission. Elder Maxson ordered him and Knight Kay to clear out the interchange and set up a new Brotherhood outpost.

He didn't sleep well and every bone in his body ached for more rest. His hair was a mess and he didn't want to see how long his beard already grew. He dragged himself to the bathroom anyway. A shower would lift his spirits, but first shaving. The sink was full with dark hair and his beard well trimmed. The water was cold first as he stood under it but now he was awake.

He zipped up his jumpsuit and walked out of his room.

She was just right over there at her power armor station. She fixed up some wiring and talked to Ingram. He was amazed by how good the two got along. He never saw Ingram laughing that much since Knight Kay joined the Brotherhood. It warmed his chest for her and he fell how the warmth arrived at his cheeks and he had to look away. He often didn't know how to feel around her. But somehow she made him feel light, alive. One day he had to admit that he had a crush on her.

Yes, he often thought that she was a crazy woman, but never meant it the bad way. He just loved how she was able to handle situations with her charm. She knew how to get the men around her to do what she wanted. She even wrapped Maxson around her fingers, and that was something no one ever accomplished before. She often got the young Elder to laugh when she was around. It was impressive...

When she finally noticed him she smiled. "Good morning, Paladin.", she said to him. "Good morning, Knight", he greeted back. They both put on their power armor and walked to the flight deck. He briefed her on the way to their target location. The vertibird landed at a distance so they had to walk the rest of the way. Danse thought it was best if the Gunners didn't see them coming via 'bird. "You never know if they have Fat Mans with them.", he stated. Kat (one day she said it was okay for her if he called her like that) nodded in agreement.

They walked in silence until they were under the highway. "We need to be careful. There's an assaultron up there. And they sure are no happy meal." Kat chuckled at the happy meal part. Danse only glared at her. "Alrighty. Then let's get moving.", she said. The ground base of the Gunners was built of two or three shacks and next to them was a yellow elevator. They both sneaked their way around the area and eliminated their targets in silence by coming from behind and breaking their necks.

Suddenly a loud bang made Danse and Kat jump and shortly after a dead Gunner fell down in front of them. The sound of his breaking bones as he crashed into the ground wasn't a thing for the faint of heart. Fine! Now the Gunners were aware that someone was coming... They quickly made their way up, laser rifles drawn. Luckily the assaultron was occupied with searching the area in front if him. They both aimed and shot that robot down and then took cover.

Another bang and the next Gunner thudded on the ground. Loud shouting filled the air as the Gunners tried to figure out what was happening. "That's our chance. If they are confused we may be lucky enough to not walk into a Fan Man barrel." "Agreed." They left their cover and opened fire again. This time shooting every moving thing.

After the last Gunner was dead Kat took the opportunity to scan the area. She walked at the overpass as she saw a reflection down at one of the hills. She aimed and pulled the trigger. A faint scream could be heard. "Hey, Danse. Guess I just shot a sharpshooter. Let's go down and see who he is." "Take your time Knight. I'll stay here and set up a signal for reinforcements. We'll meet down at the shacks." With that Kat took the elevator down and walked over to the hills where she thought that the stranger was.