17 Seven days of Vacation, Day 5: Night and a goodbye

Dogmeat barked in the middle of the night. Kathryn was awake immediately. She stood up and grabbed her laser rifle and flicked the safety off and went outside. Dogmeat faced the roof when Kat stood beside him and ruffled his fur. "Come down before I shoot you!" Kat shouted up to the roof. Rustling was audible and she heard how someone came down. "Okay, okay. But please, don't shoot me again." Kat's eyes widened in shock. "RJ?", she called out "What are you doing here?" He walked around the corner of the station and was greeted by the growling canine and a baffled Kathryn. She told the dog that it was fine and he licked her hand, huffed and trotted aside.

"Your dog spooked the shi- the crap out of me.", MacCready said adjusting the hat on his head. "Eh, he's guarding my home when I'm not around. That's what he's supposed to do with intruders." Like he wanted to give his opinion too, Dogmeat sneezed and shook his fur. MacCready huffed and crossed his arms in front of his chest. "But honestly, what are you doing here?", Kat asked the mercenary again. "I need to talk with you.", he then answered, looking down at the ground.

Before they were able to say something else Danse stood behind Kathryn. A low growl erupted from his chest and both, Kat and MacCready jumped at the sound. Not again... Kat thought when Danse took a step forward. MacCready put up his hands in defense and also to show that he was unarmed. "Hey, I just want to talk with her.", he said looking at the angry Paladin. Kathryn turned around with pleading eyes looking at Danse hoping he'd keep his cool. He looked at her and finally he nodded. Kat sighed and gave him a small kiss on the cheek before she walked over to MacCready to walk away a few meters.

They heard the door shut loudly after Danse went back inside. Dogmeat had followed Kathryn and now sniffed at MacCready's duster. He then licked the young man's hand and nuzzled at him. It would have been funny if there wasn't that nagging feeling in Kat's mind about the upcoming talk. They both sat down in the dust and Dogmeat made himself cozy in the middle of both. The young man cleared his throat and sighed. A pained look was plastered on his face and he didn't know how to begin. "I'm sorry." He looked up. Kathryn's eyes held sadness. "Why?", MacCready then asked. She looked at him, gnawing on her lip. "Danse. How the treated you. It wasn't his right to storm into that room we shared..." She looked away ashamed.

The young man wasn't able to control himself when he grabbed Kathryn and pulled her into a hug. First she just sat there not responding. She just slowly returned the embrace and hugged him back. Dogmeat looked up at them his tail wagging a little before he dropped his head down and huffed. "I know.", he said voice muffled through Kat's hair "But it was inevitable." He squeezed her stronger before he let go of her. She pulled her legs under her chin and rested her arms on her knees, looking at MacCready. "But that's not the reason why I'm here." "Why then?", she asked. "Remember when I told you that I wanted to kiss you since Mass Pike?" Kat nodded. "Well, turns out I feel more for you than I'd expected..." His legs were crossed and he fidgeted with his fingers in his lap.

"Oh...", Kat only said. Shit! "I don't know what to say..." MacCready studied her face in the moonlight. Her eyes were blank as she stared holes into the air. Kat felt pity for him. She liked him yeah, but not as much as she liked Danse. And she was sure that if she'd ever agree to be friends with the mercenary, that it would hurt him. And Danse, that she was sure, wouldn't like that fact; he would hate it! She sniffed as tears pricked at her eyes, still not knowing what to say. MacCready came closer and tried to wipe away her tears. He caressed one of her cheeks and she closed her eyes and cried. "I'm so so sorry...", she sobbed, repeating herself. "Hey, hey... What's the problem anyway?", he softly asked.

She looked up at him, taking his hand he caressed her with in hers. "I'm in love with Danse." Dogmeat sensed Kathryn's sadness and whined. She could see how something in the young man broke. "I should have known that...", he simply said and looked away. He pulled back his hand and let it fall down into his lap. A pearly tear glistened at one of his cheeks. Kat saw it before he wiped it away. He stood up and brushed himself off. "Do you regret what happened?", MacCready then asked. He had a hardened look on his face now. Kathryn also stood up and shook her head. "No, not a single second." "But why do I feel like crap now?", the young man asked loudly. Kat took a breath. "You were there for me when no one else was. You made me laugh in a very sad time. You helped me with my loneliness!", Kat shouted. She shook her head and let out a breath. "I wish we could be friends. But I'm sure that it will hurt you..."

"You're the only one caring about me, you know that?", MacCready said in a normal volume now. "I would be glad if we were friends. But I guess you're right. It would hurt me... Not to talk about that walking Tin Can of yours..." Kathryn chocked down a laugh. "I guess this is goodbye now?", she then asked."Yeah..." Kathryn walked to MacCready and caressed his face in her hands. She looked at him with glistening eyes from the tears still pooling. "Goodbye Robert, we will meet again..." She gave him one last goodbye kiss, putting the emotions of a last thank you into it. He returned the kiss as passionate as Kat. Without any other word she broke off and walked back inside, Dogmeat at her heels. "Goodbye Kathryn. We will meet again...", MacCready whispered and turned around to leave.

Before she was able to close the door Danse stood in front of her, a disappointed and pained look on his face. He didn't know how to feel when he saw the tear stains on her face and she still cried. She wanted him so bad to hug her, but didn't know if it was wise to take a step forward. "What was that?", he asked, voice filled with sadness. "It was goodbye.", she answered. She took a small step forward, trying to embrace Danse but he took a step back. Kat sucked in a sharp breath and felt a pang in her heart. She let he arms fall down and lookec away and cried. Then he finally stepped aside to let her in completely. She walked straight to her bed, throwing herself on it and covering her trembling body with the blanket. She cried herself to sleep. Dogmeat cuddled up to her.

Danse suppressed a sigh and made his way to the couch. He knew it would be better if they'd slept apart from each other. He needed the space to think. He still couldn't forgive her nor himself for what had happened. But he tried to work it out in his mind. It was his fault that she slept with that mercenary. He wouldn't have minded if she said that she regretted it. Why did he mind anyway? They were in no relationship. But it hurt him still the same like they were. And finally he let out that sigh. He laid down on the couch, tugging one arm under his head and the other laid on his chest and fell asleep.