30 Meeting Kate

A/N: Well, hello there.

I thought this might  be an interesting addition to my oneshots. And I think with Kate it's gonna be a lot of trouble. I have something special in my mind what I wanna do with her ;-)

Until then, enjoy the short glimpse.

***

Dear Sister,

you don't know me, but I know you. I've been following you my whole life, trying to make sure you're safe and that you'll live. I know that I've failed you all those years ago, that you weren't safe when that bastard did what he had done. But be sure, I let him suffer for what he did! And that woman too. A bystander that didn't care much about a young life... It needed to be done...

I hope you don't hate me for it. But when I saw you lying in the dirt, alone and broken, it was a promise I made to myself. To make that bastard pay for his crimes!
I always cared for you. And I would have carried you away on my own arms, but I was too weak. I'm just glad Mary had found you in time.

I cried for you my dear... Bitter tears...

I can remember the day I finally wanted to approach you at Taffington, to say hello. But you were gone and all that was left were three corpses and those fucking Bloodbugs. You vanished and I lost track of you... And then, one day you just emerged again, different, stronger, harder, but somehow still the same. I saw you with that Vault Dweller, you did good, both. Did you know he's the General of the Minutemen now?
Hmm... Of course you do, he told you, didn't he?
I know that you are friends.

I was so glad to see you up and about, that you learned how to survive in this godforsaken Wasteland, that you found someone to depend on.

But when you stumbled into the Brotherhood of Steel... my hope vanished. Seeing you with this Paladin... First I was alerted that he would brainwash you. But then I saw the look on your face. You love him. And when I look into his face, I see the same. Maybe hope isn't lost in the end...

If you ever want to meet me, make sure you follow The Freedom Trail.

I love you,

Your Sister.

***

It was like a punch in the guts when Kathryn read the letter. A Sister?! Why didn't she know about that, about her? Why did she never approach her in the first place. Does it matter? Does she really want to meet her? Well, Kathryn had questions, like a ton of them. And if she wanted answers she had to go and follow that trail...

"I need to go.", said Kathryn after she put away the letter.
"Why, what happened?", Danse asked her alarmed.
"I need to find answers. And it's best if I do that alone."
"Why do you think it is wise to walk the Commonwealth all by yourself?"
"Because my destination is... The Railroad..."
"WHAT?!"

Danse couldn't believe his ears. The Railroad?! What did they have to do with her?

"I'm coming with you."
"No."
"This is not up for discussion, Paladin!"
"Danse! Please, let me go alone..."
"Then would you please care to enlighten me why?"
"Here..."

And she handed him the letter. With every word he read his eyes grew wider.

"Kathryn, I- I didn't know..."

"Yeah well, neither did I."
"I understand that this is personal. But I'd still rather accompany you than let you wander alone throughout the Commonwealth... We can set up a meeting point where I'll wait for you then."
"You would?"
"For you, always."

It was then that Danse embraced Kathryn's shaking body and held her close to him, gently stroking a hand through her hair. She melted into him nuzzling her face into his chest as she let out a long and hot breath. "Thank you.", she mumbled into the fabric of his jumpsuit, her arms tightly wrapped around him. "Kathryn, look at me.", he then said, still keeping to stroke her hair. "No matter what happens, I'm always there for you. And if something's going wrong, you'll be glad for the backup." after he said that he took Kathryn's head into a hand and caressed it, his thumb trailed across her cheek. She looked him in the eyes and got lost in them. "Hey...", he whispered "don't you worry about what might happen. I know you, and I know that you will make the best out if it." Now that sounded more reassuring. Kathryn closed her eyes and kissed him and as they parted she sighed.
"You're right."

A few days later Kathryn and Danse found themselves at the doorstep of the underground organization. They stood in front of the Old North Church. A lantern was drawn right next to the door.

"This must be the place.", Kathryn said as she looked around.
"Alright, I'll just wait here.", Danse answered and walked to a set of stairs and sat down.
"Although I still don't like it... I'm glad that you're here."
"Promise me that you'll be careful."
"I promise."

And so Kathryn disappeared in the building, leaving a sorrowful Danse behind. He sure hoped that this wasn't a mistake, that it wasn't just a farce from their enemy to get rid of the Brotherhood's most successful officers.

___

The darkness embraced her, the creaking of the old wood in the collapsed church squeaked and dust flew around her. But besides that it was quiet. She put on the light on her Pip Boy and took in a sharp breath as she saw the bodies from various ferals. She needed to be quiet or else she would be in trouble. So she kept standing at one spot, slowly turning around and looking for any sign that might help her. A small lantern was drawn on a wooden plank atop of a corridor. Kathryn smiled a little before she slowly and as silently as possible moved to her destination. No ghoul woke up when she passed the door and she walked down the stairs. Fuck, more ferals! Again she went into a crouch and moved around without a sound. But then somewhere near her something moved. Kathryn could hear the ghouls shifting around her. This was a dangerous situation and she needed to act quickly. She took out her Disciples Cutlass and went to work. Before the ghouls were able to attack her she already had stabbed them.

The screeching of another ghoul in front of her let her halt in her motion, there was another sound too. Someone was there fighting against the feral. Kathryn moved further into the catacombs and saw that they were dimly lighted and turned off the light of her Pip Boy. At least it was easier now not to get spotted as long as she didn't make a noise. She turned around a corner and froze. Just as the other person killed the feral Kathryn was able to take a glimpse and didn't believe her eyes.

It was like looking into a mirror. The woman in front of Kathryn looked almost exactly like her, the scars, the eyes, the red lips... But that woman had those white spots all over her face, and probably on her whole body. Kathryn couldn't tell, cause the woman wore a thick armored coat, the same plasma rifle in hand just like Kathryn's Protector.

"You...", she whispered.
"Hello, Sister.", the other one said.