37 The way to recovery

Danse didn't know what to think about that. 

"Cade!", he called for the medic.
"Yes, Paladin?", the grey eyed man answered.
"D-did you hear this?"
"Not all. What exactly did she say?"

Danse felt a little uncomfortable telling the Knight-Captain about Kathryn's reaction.

"Well, she had an orgasm...", he then finally said.
"What did she say?" Danse blushed at this question, not knowing if he should answer or not.
"M-my name." His blush bloomed into a full tato red head.
"We don't know what she's experiencing right now, but she's healing. Maybe you can ask her if she wakes up. "

Yeah... IF she wakes up... Thanks Cade, for setting my expectations so high...

"You should go and get some rest, Paladin. She's in safe hands and she will need you at one hundred percent soon."
"Affirmative."

Danse nodded and left the med bay under the watchful eyes of Knight-Captain Cade. He went to the mess which gladly wasn't too far away. He needed something in his stomach or he would try to eat the walls of the Prydwen. After his meal he went back to the med bay and almost didn't believe his eyes...

___

He sat down at the still warm chair. It wasn't even a minute since the paladin had left the med bay before he showed up. Rhys took Kathryn's hand in his. He looked at her pale face, no make up on, like she would do every day. The freckles in her face were prominent now and she had dark shadows under her eyes. "I'm so sorry that this happened. I didn't mean to cause all this...", he began to whisper. "Please wake up again, we need you." He felt guilty, suffering from what he had done to her. He just wanted to tease her, and not cause her almost-death. She looked so much like she would die every moment, like a skeleton covered with skin, and he couldn't contain the tears that welled in his eyes. One dropped down at her hand before he leaned down and squeezed it to his forehead, begging her to wake up and call him what ever she preferred, lecture him, speak out what ever punishment she thought might be enough for him. He would gladly take it, if only she woke up again.

He insisted that he was also there to fly her to the Prydwen some days ago. Haylen could only do as much but Cade always had his eyes on his patients. He manned the minigun while Danse held Kathryn in a steel grip. Gentle but safe enough not to fly out of the vertibird if something happened. But Rhys made sure the flight went without any trouble and shot everything that dared to glare his way. He even insisted to carry her to the med bay, it was the least he could do. He was determined and Danse couldn't say no to the knight. No matter how much of an ass Rhys could be, that mission changed him from the core...

___

Bright light blinded her and she felt that her hand was pressed against skin. She heard silent sobs and before she was able to say something I giant shadow covered the light. Danse stood behind Rhys who talked to Kathryn in hushed voices. The Paladin laid a hand on the knight's shoulder and he looked up. "I'm so so sorry.", said the knight to his superior. Danse only took Rhys into his arms, like a father would do with his son. Rhys didn't know what to do but cry into his C.O.s chest. He felt so damn lost.

"Rh-Rhys...", a faint voice whispered. Both Danse and Rhys looked down into the bed. Kathryn looked at the knight, her hand trying to grab his again and he knelt down.
"Paladin Kay!", exclaimed the knight. He held her hand again and came as close as he dared and she whispered again.
"You fucking asshole.", she smiled weakly and tried to squeeze his hand.

He burst into laughter at her words, more tears spilling down his cheeks.

"Danse.", she then said, facing the paladin.
"Yes?", he answered.
"I love you." Her eyes closed again and her hand went limb. She was sleeping again.
"I love you too", Danse whispered.

"I guess you two should go and rest now as well. Paladin Kay won't run away, you know.", said Cade from behind his desk. He was silently tapping away at his terminal but heard every word spoken. Both men nodded and left the med bay in silence.

"I need a drink.", said Danse before Rhys could walk away.
"Ugh, me too.", he then said.
"Wanna join me then?"
"Uhm, sure..."

Rhys wondered why his superior was inviting him to a drink, but he followed Danse to his quarters and sat down. Danse opened a bottle of Bourbon before he poured him and Rhys two generous glasses. Rhys sighed and took a sip of his glass. "I never wanted it to come this way... I just wanted to tease her, you know? Like I always did. Everyone thought that I hated her. Maybe I did, Sir. But this mission changed my point of view. I've never seen a stronger person, a one-woman-army. Paladin, it looked like she was dancing when she killed those fanatics! I couldn't do more than I did when I carried her to Haylen. And every day she's not awake I feel terrible. I never intended this. I know how much she means to you, Sir, really I do." He took another sip before he continued speaking. "It made me smile when she said that she was happy for Haylen and me. I even wanted her approval and got it without doing a thing for it. I really appreciate that she gave us her blessings, even if she doesn't know that she already did." He looked away, shame and guilt eating away at his conscience.

"Let me tell you something.", said Danse as he too sat down in front of his knight, sipping at his own Bourbon. "Besides the Brotherhood Kathryn is all I have in my life. Even if she tells me that I am the one that showed her happiness it's her that showed it to me. Yes, she's a psychopath, yes she had tortured a raider back in Nuka World, but she also killed two hundred raiders just by shooting a mini nuke at them. She's a force to be reckoned with! She brought Brandis back and saved my life in the time span of hours! If it wasn't for her I would be dead. Rhys I was dead! But she made me strong enough tgo come back, to not leave her alone. By steel I don't want to know what she would do if I ever left her..." He rubbed his hand over his face and went on. "She solved the case of the missing supplies here and convinced Initiate Clarke to turn himself in! She already did so much for the Brotherhood, for me. With all that she already accomplished in such a short amount of time... And it was just fair that she got that promotion. And if she goes, I will follow her, no matter where her way will lead her. I love her too much than let her wander alone." He let his words sink in, a small break and again he spoke. "And you know what I would do to the person taking her away from me?", Danse looked at Rhys menacingly. The knight swallowed and shook his head.
"I'm gonna slowly kill that bastard. Let him feel all the pain I am feeling due to her loss. She's my life, my whole world and if she won't wake up, make sure you're as far away from me as possible!"
Rhys swallowed. This absolutely wasn't what he wanted to hear. He wished for reassuring words, and not a thread to his life. He stood up just to fall down to one knee, his right hand over his heart and he looked at Danse. He swore to him that no matter what would happen, he would accept the consequences. But he also pleaded to the paladin to think about Haylen. Danse considered this.
"It's her choice in the end.", he said, meaning Kathryn with his statement. Their conversation was over and Rhys downed the rest of his Bourbon before he left. He already was at the door and turned around again, saluting his commanding officer. "Ad Victoriam, Paladin!", Rhys said before he closed the door and left.

"Ad Victoriam.", said Danse before he downed his own glass and moved to his bed. Suddenly he felt exhausted. He laid down, his limbs felt like they were covered with a blanket made of lead and he fell asleep.

___

Rhys hurried back to the med bay. He needed to talk with Cade immediately. He told the medic about the conversation between him and Danse and Cade's eyes widened.
"You should have known that, Knight. Did you forget how much people he already lost? Think about Brach, Worwick, Keane, Dawes. About Krieg. About Cutler..." Cade sighed and shook his head. "No wonder he said that. Well, I'm gonna have to talk to him about it." Rhys inhaled sharply as he looked at the medic. He really didn't think much lately. Maybe it was better that he left the Brotherhood for good. But what would Haylen say? He looked at Kathryn. She wouldn't want him to leave. And she also would tell Danse to shove his threat way down where the sun didn't shine.

When he looked closely at the bed he swore under his breath. Kathryn looked at him, eyes wide and a hand at her mouth.

"What the fuck?"