5 - Uncharted Waters

Authors note: This chapter contains sexual references. I recommend for readers 18+ and over.

Enjoy!!

I can't move. I haven't taken a breath for quite some time and I can feel my chest tighten as my heart hammers quickly. I need to calm down or I'm going to have a full-blown panic attack. 'Breathe Emerson, breathe.' I chant to myself over and over, and what feels like forever but most likely was only a minute, I take a deep breath, and release it. The man stepping out of the car is now making his way to the front door, so I need to will my legs to move. The man that is NOT Arden. My entire body feels heavy as I slowly make my way to answer, fear gripping me tightly. Confusion and panic are settling in as the distance between me and the unknown stranger is closing in. If I thought I was nervous about a date with Arden, someone I knew nothing of, I 100 percent feel completely petrified of the man that isn't Arden standing on my doorstep. Have I been played? Was this some kind of setup? Am I in danger? My knuckles are white as I grip the handle of the door, all the questions running through my head making it harder and harder to release the latch.

The doorbell rings a second time and I know I need to answer it if I want to know what the hell is going on. Cautiously, I pull back the door and peer out at the tattooed man standing waiting for me, ignoring every stranger danger alert I've ever learned in my 25 years in existence.

It wasn't that he was an unattractive man, in fact he's rather handsome in a rough and rugged kind of way, but he screams arrogance and danger, and that's already rubbing me the wrong way, as he looks me from head to toe, then smirks

"Aye, I can see why he likes you lass" he smirks, then gestures for me to follow him. "C'mon, we'll be late if we don't get going"

"Who the hell are you?" I boldly call out, not yet setting foot outside the door, manners be damned.

"Your ride" he laughs.

"I'm not getting in that car with you, I have no clue who you are, and quite frankly I don't trust you"

He stops and looks back at me, "You're right not to, but if you want to see Arden Quinn tonight, I'm afraid you will have too lass. The names Malachi, I work with Arden. We're mates. And tonight, the delivery man of one very important package.... you!" scratching his fingers through his beard, he grins "Now, if that's satisfied you, can we go?"

Just the mere mention of his name, 'Arden Quinn' and my knees are weak again. Looks like I am going to make a terrible decision here, but I do not want to miss my chance to see him again. Hear him again. Touch him again. "Ok" I stutter, stepping outside and pulling my door closed behind me. The snowy weather is starting to close in so I know we need to get a move on.

He opens the back door, which honestly feels foreign and rather odd, but I quietly climb in and settle into the back seat. He catches me checking the locks and grunts, "I'm not kidnapping you love; he'd have my head for that"